Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 22nd, 2018 15:00

Dell Inspiron 5737 Hard Drive Upgrade Options

I have this old Inspiron laptop but it runs some things really slow. Most games I want to play I have to run on minimum graphics just for it not to lag. What I would like to know is if I would be able to use a M.2 Hdd in it or does it just not have a spot for that.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

October 23rd, 2018 13:00

Alternatively, upgrade the notebook to an SSD and use it when you need mobility.  Then buy a desktop system for gaming (XPS tower or Alienware).  You can buy the equivalent in gaming hardware to a $2,000 Alienware notebook for $1,000 or perhaps even less -- or looked at another way, the $1,000 desktop will game better than a $2,000 notebook.  There's a factor of two in what you pay for performance in a mobile system vs. a desktop -- and the cooling constraints on a notebook aren't there in a tower desktop system.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

No, to M.2 or mSATA - no support.  The only way to install an SSD is to replace the hard drive with a 2.5" SSD.  While this will indeed boost overall performance substantially, if the issue is the GPU, it's not going to improve on that -- for improvement there you need a new system.

4 Posts

Could you suggest a good pc then? I don't want to spend all my money on a pc and i don't know enough about the parts that go into them. Just want something to have fun with.

9 Legend

• 

12.3K Posts

October 22nd, 2018 16:00

If you need a decent laptop without laying out too much money consider the Inspiron 5575. I purchased mine with a 1TB HDD. Then I installed an M.2 SSD for boot drive and replaced the HDD with a  2.5" SSD for storage and games. Also ordered it with 8GB of RAM. With the Ryzen 5 with Vega 8 GPU it is really quick and runs games on low to medium setting.

But if you are a dedicated gamer then G series or Alienware would be more in line. Just be sure to go for an SSD and at least 8GB of RAM and if you go for the G or Alienware then a dedicated video card would be nice. It all depends on what you want from a system and of course what you can afford to spend.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

October 22nd, 2018 16:00

One counterpoint:  if you are in any way a dedicated gamer, ONLY the Alienware will do.  If you're a casual gamer, the G-series may serve your needs - but the G series is nothing more than what the old Inspiron 7000 series used to be, and it's still entry level for gaming.

4 Posts

October 23rd, 2018 11:00

would a crucial mx500 work well or is there a better choice? Really i just want my framerate in games to go up.

9 Legend

• 

12.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2018 13:00

An SSD will make it faster to retrieve data but will not influence FPS. The CPU and GPU and amount of RAM govern that in games. If you want better frame rates then a new laptop is the way to go. And since you sound like a dedicated (not casual) gamer, ejn63 is right. Only Alienware is your best choice.

4 Posts

October 23rd, 2018 14:00

the main reason i have a laptop is that i need something i can pick up and go so i guess i will take your advice and get an alienware notebook.

December 9th, 2019 23:00

Did you buy an alienware?

I know this is old but, In Graphics Settings, did you add your games ('gamename'.exe) to the list and set it for "high performance? This forces the use of the Nvidia GT750M card instead of the Intel graphics hd4000.

No Events found!