Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

4 Posts

March 19th, 2019 19:00

Dell Inspiron 7570 "Secure data wipe" Problem/Bug

Hello! I have 1TB seagate hard disk installed in my Dell Inspiron 7570 laptop (It is out of warranty) but unfortunately now it's Hard disk is locked. I wanted to erase the data from my hard disk but instead of using windows format option, I used "Secure wipe" option in BIOS but after after successful completion, it asked me to to reboot the system. After rebooting, it started asking password which I didn't set at all. Here is the message which appears right after pressing power button "Dell security Manager " "Hard-drive #***serialnumber-6FF1, the system internal HDD-0, is protected by a password authentication system. You cannot access data on this hard disk without the correct password. Please type in the hard drive password" But I have never set password on it. My laptop is locked. Please help

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

March 20th, 2019 05:00

The following Dell support page should offer more information. But you will have to contact Dell per the information in the link.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln142655/dell-system-prompts-for-a-hard-drive-hdd-or-bios-password?lang=en

4 Posts

March 20th, 2019 10:00

Thanks for the important valuable information. Actually Dell did send me the master password against laptop service tag but for some reason that master password isn't working.

3 Posts

July 4th, 2020 19:00

Did you replace the hard drive? If so, does it work now?

4 Posts

July 4th, 2020 21:00

Yes, I replaced it with same new Hard Disk and now it is working just fine... But that Dell Bios "Secure data wipe" Bug is still there and I am sure my Dell Inspiron 7570 will lockup again if I use this option again. They could fix it with a bios update but for some reason, they decided not to fix it and there is no bios update yet to resolve this issue.

I don't know why did they include this feature, if it does not work properly, i guess, just to destroy hardware?

3 Posts

July 5th, 2020 07:00

Yeah, they should either improve the feature to eradicate the problems or at least warn the users about the potential errors/issues so that customers won't have to face the issues that we did. It's a waste of money to get a new hard disk as it wasn't even our fault in the first place. I also want to say thank you very much for replying. My dad told me to get a new HDD because of this issue and I was scared that this lock-up problem would persist, even after a full replacement.

4 Posts

July 5th, 2020 08:00

Yes exactly, replacing problematic hard disk with new hard disk will only resolve this laptop lockup issue but the actual problem/bug is still there. 

No need to thank friend, this is Dell community forum we are here to solve and answer each others problems and questions 

No Events found!