Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 24th, 2022 08:00

Inspiron 7620, overheats when in sleep mode

Inspiron 16 Plus 7620

Inspiron 16 Plus 7620

My Inspiron 7620 (with RTX 3060) overheats when it is in sleep mode, with the GPU reaching 80 degrees C according to task manager after about an hour of being in sleep mode. When it is taken out of sleep mode the area around the keyboard and on the back feels hot and the fans quickly turn on and cool it back down. This happens regardless of whether the AC adapter is plugged in or not and both when the lid is shut and when it is open. The laptop is always placed on my desk when in sleep mode. The device does not overheat at all when it is in use, even under heavy load. It has been overheating like this since I got the laptop new about a week ago.

I have checked the dell update app, the dell website, windows update and Nvidia geforce experience - the BIOS and all drivers are up to date. I ran a diagnostics test and all tests were passed successfully.

Strangely, this problem does not occur if the device has been restarted prior to being put in sleep mode (as in actually clicking the restart button, not just shutting down and turning back on again), but the problem returns and it overheats again if put in sleep mode after it was previously shut down.

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

October 29th, 2022 05:00

Ok, I spoke too fast, the problem reappeared after several cycles but now I think I finally nailed it. The culprit seems to be hibernation mode. Even though I have it set to go to sleep when closing the lid and everything else, mine went into hibernation after being in sleep mode for several hours. By deactivating hibernation through the powershell, it now seems to be working perfectly!

1 Rookie

• 

402 Posts

September 24th, 2022 10:00

Couple of random thoughts for discussion:

Since the laptop is new, I'd get a service request open pronto. Hope it doesn't come to this, but you don't want to lose your 30-day return privilege if you need to exercise it. This behavior isn't normal, and it's not inconceivable that a hardware issue is to blame. Get Dell support working on the problem and if you're not satisfied, pull the trigger on the return before it's too late.

I suspect the device isn't really sleeping, at least not for the duration. You might check the System log in Event Viewer to see if any events are logged during sleep time. Even if it just stayed powered up, it looks like closing the lid shouldn't inhibit cooling; there are exhaust vents on the sides and rear of the unit, and the grille underneath for fresh air. Since it's heating up, something is apparently revving UP in sleep mode, which of course isn't right.

You can also run Open Hardware Monitor or something similar to check where the real hot spot(s) may be, though you may have identified it already.

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

October 24th, 2022 07:00

Wow, I have the exact same problem, sometimes when i close the lid, the laptop just overheats and the fans remain idle. I have been unable to pinpoint the exact cause of this. Any help would be much appreciated!

October 24th, 2022 08:00

Hi prismus! Unfortunately, I still haven't resolved the problem on my laptop. I contacted Dell support and tried reinstalling windows, running diagnostics, etc. with no success. They eventually took the laptop back for repair and replaced the fan, heatsink and motherboard and reinstalled windows again. They sent the laptop back but clearly didn't test it to see if they'd actually fixed the issue because it overheats exactly the same as before. I've contacted them again to see if I can get a replacement laptop and am awaiting a reply on that.

I will update you if I find a solution!

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

October 24th, 2022 14:00

Thanks for your quick reply. I think I did figure it out because now it runs incredibly cool and makes almost no noise!!! Plus I havent had the overheating issue when closing the lid.

All I did was manually update certain drivers through the Dell site (wifi & bt, the audio and bios). I have a suspicion that its the wifi&bt drivers because errors related to them kept appearing in the events viewer whenever I closed the lid. I could be wrong and the problem might reappear but so far, so good!

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

October 24th, 2022 15:00

Oh and I ran windows update that also installed a ton of stuff. If this turns out to be a driver issue then shame on Dell, this is the elementary stuff that they should be on the lookout for but apparently not!

October 29th, 2022 10:00

Thanks for the response, disabling hibernation seems to have fixed my issue as well!

1 Message

February 17th, 2024 02:32

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/deployment/disable-and-re-enable-hibernation

No Events found!