Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

PA

4 Posts

October 19th, 2020 09:00

Dell Inspiron N5010 RAM Issue

Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron N5010 laptop with 3GB RAM. Recently the bottom RAM slot of my laptop got corrupted and my system doesn't boot if I use that slot. My system does boot when I use only the upper slot. I tried to upgrade to 4GB RAM using only one slot but my system reboots automatically or it throws the blue screen or takes me to startup repair. Do you have any ideas around on how I can fix this? Why can't I use only one slot with 4GB RAM which is not corrupted? Thanks for any help!!

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

October 19th, 2020 09:00

You bought the wrong RAM.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

October 19th, 2020 12:00

It sounds more likely from your description it's the slot that's bad - for which you'll need to replace the system board.

October 19th, 2020 12:00

Thanks for your reply. I actually tried different RAM options (Samsung, Kingston,  Transcend, etc) with the vendor and found the same issue. I am not sure if all the RAM's are wrong. Any other ideas please?

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

October 19th, 2020 13:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @Prakash anovadia 

With just the one 4GB installed:

Are you able to go into the BIOS and see the 4GB installed???

1. Restart your Dell PC.
  2. When the Dell logo appears, press F12 key to enter One-time Boot Menu.
  3. Use the arrow keys to select Diagnostics and press Enter key on the keyboard.
  4. Follow the on-screen prompts and respond appropriately to complete the diagnostics.
    If the test fails, write down the error code and validation code.

Best regards,

U2

October 21st, 2020 06:00

Hi @U2CAMEB4ME ,

Thanks for your reply. I checked using just one 4GB RAM and my system is not able to boot now. I checked using Samsung, Kingston and Transcend brands earlier, and it gave me startup repair/ blue screen or auto shutdown errors. When I use my original 1GB stick, I am able to boot and do the diagnostics using F12. Everything passed. The vendor says my system will work only with 1 or 2GB RAM. The 4GB ones I checked were PC3 1333Mhz 10600S CH9 SO DIMM. I am not sure if anything else needs to be matched. Do you have more ideas other than all the RAM's are incompatible? Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

October 21st, 2020 07:00

You're chasing the wrong horse -- from what you've described, it's not the modules that are the problem.  It's the socket.

Replace the system board.

October 21st, 2020 08:00

@ejn63 If it were socket issue, then how come I am able use the system with 1GB RAM that come with my laptop? I believe it should not work at all.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

October 21st, 2020 09:00

It's not uncommon for a socket that is failing to work with a low-density module and fail with a high density one.  In fact, that's a very common symptom of a failing memory socket.

No Events found!