Start a Conversation

Unsolved

MB

1 Message

January 17th, 2020 05:00

Dell Inspiron N7110 Processor Upgrade Tip: Upgrading Processor Use Sandy Bridge

I have a Dell Inspiron N7110 that stopped booting up so I replaced the motherboard DA0R03MB6E0 REV:E with a motherboard I bought on Ebay DA0R03MB6E1 for $43.49 and while I was in my laptop I replaced one of the memory sticks with one that had more memory, It had a 4 GB stick and a 2 GB stick for a total of 6 GB, I bought a 4 GB stick on Ebay for $19.95 and replaced the 2 GB stick with the 4 GB stick for a total of 8 GB of memory (the maximum memory the motherboard will support). While I was in my laptop I thought I would try upgrading the processor to a faster one. The processor my laptop came new with was a core i5-2410M (SR04B) 2 Core Sandy Bridge Processor Core 2.3 GHz (maximum 2.9 GHz turbo frequency). I blindly bought a core i7-2670QM (SR02N) 4 core Sandy Bridge Processor Core 2.2 GHz and luckily my laptop started up and work up to the maximum 3.1 GHz turbo frequency, So I thought if more processor speed is good then a faster processor speed would be better so I blindly bought on Ebay a core i7-3940XM (SR0US) 4 core Ivy Bridge Processor Core 3.0 GHz (maximum 3.9 GHz turbo frequency) and my laptop would not start up. It would not even get to the BIOS. I'm pretty sure it would not start up because the processor was Ivy Bridge and not Sandy Bridge. So the thing I learned is that you cannot use an Ivy Bridge processor on a Dell Inspiron N7110 mother board. I am going to try a core i7-2960XM (SR02F) 4 core Sandy Bridge Processor Core 2.7 GHz (maximum 3.7 GHz turbo frequency). I'll let you know how this works out. Please let me know if you find a faster processor than the core i7-2960XM.

• 

25.7K Posts

January 17th, 2020 23:00

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to write back whenever you are available.

No Events found!