Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

1 Message

December 8th, 2019 09:00

Dell Power Manager's quiet mode is not very quiet

Hello everyone,

So i just received my Inspiron 7590 and it's pretty great up to this point except for the power management app. I intend to bring this computer to college but I want to be sure it stays quiet at all times. So i thought to enable "Quiet" mode even though the default mode ("Optimized") stay rather quiet, just to be sure, but as soon as i click on quiet, the fans start spinning and make more noise than ever and well... That's not very quiet.

Is it normal, can I do something about it?

Thank you

PS: oh, also it seems that the "Cool" setting (which is supposedly louder but cooler) is very quiet so maybe it's a bug that have to be patched by Dell or something ?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 8th, 2019 14:00

I'm assuming you installed latest drivers and firmware from your Dell Product Support page …….

I'd suggest reinstalling the Chipset drivers one by one to see if it will make any difference.

Support | Dell US

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04

Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework ( Chipset )

Description: This package contains the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework driver. The package is supported on Dell Alienware, Inspiron, Vostro, XPS, Precision, and Latitude systems that run Windows 10 (64-bit) operating system. Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework is a power and thermal management solution that is used to resolve fan noise, overheating, and performance-related issues of the system.

• 

109 Posts

December 10th, 2019 16:00

Hello

Awaiting a response to our previous message.

Simran

• 

109 Posts

December 11th, 2019 17:00

Hello,

Since we have not received a reply from you, we are closing this case. If you decide to continue at a later date, you will need to start a new thread.

S

1 Message

June 4th, 2020 12:00

Yes, I have the same thing in both Windows and Linux: the "Quiet" profile actually cools the laptop. I suspect it was accidentally swapped with "Cool". All firmware and drivers are up to date, both in Windows and Linux. I suspect it's just a minor firmware bug; not difficult to work around.

1 Message

November 10th, 2020 02:00

I have the same issue, Cool and Quiet seems to be swapped @Dell-SimranC 

4 Posts

February 17th, 2022 00:00

Similar issue on Dell Vostro 5301 bought in 2021. Actually "Quiet" is very loud. "Cool" is little less loud. "Performance" and "Optimized" are the most quiet settings, though they are not very quiet neither.

Is there any solution/update to have a real quiet setting? This is quite annoying when used to another brand which was perfectly quiet. To be honest this would refrain me from buying Dell next time.

4 Posts

March 16th, 2022 22:00

On 17 March 2022, still the same issue on Dell Vostro 5301, fan always active at high speed in quiet mode. Support from DELL is not efficient at all, already spent so many hours trying to solve the issue and now they are asking me to reinstall OS, with no guarantee that it will solve the problem.

Now I am really tired burning hours trying to fix a problem with their bad design/development/testing. I will never buy DELL again, and would recommend other people to consider spending the extra money required to buy similar product but from a different/better brand. 

No Events found!