Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

September 2nd, 2018 20:00

Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery of G7 15 doesn't work anymore

Last month, I was trying to install macOS on my G7. Before wiping the drive, I backed up whole SSD (the OS Recovery still worked back then) with Arconis True Image. After getting bored with macOS, I decided to restore the whole backup image to my drive. However, after restoring and using for few weeks, I noticed that the OS Recovery doesn't work anymore. Everytime I open it, it stucks at a blue screen for 1 minute then shutdowns the laptop. Although WINRETOOLS, Image and DELLSUPPORT partitions were restored, the tool doesn't work anymore. Also, it didn't generate any logs so I couldn't find out the issue.

While it is not urgent, I would appreciate if you can help me with this.

1 Message

December 2nd, 2018 09:00

Just asking if this thread has been solved because am having the same issue with my Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series after i cloned the SSD drive with a bigger capacity and the SupportAssist OS Recovery boot menu under f12 doesnt work anymore. It appears blue screen screen and shutdown ......

October 2nd, 2019 09:00

Has this been solved yet? I have an xps 13 9360 and am having the exact same issue

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

October 2nd, 2019 13:00

Since it's not urgent, I would suggest you Download Macium Reflect Free and create a full disk/SSD Image on an external drive. In fact, I make one before each Windows update just in case things go south. If they do I'm back working again in about 10 minutes that it takes to run the Macrium Recovery. Haven't had a failure since 2012 when I first started using it and have recovered many times on many computers. How to use Macrium Reflect Tutorial

There are other Imaging/Back up programs out there I've had failures many failures using Acronis and windows built-in back up program. I can't speak to any of the others

3 Posts

August 2nd, 2020 05:00

Did you ever get this resolved? Im having the same issue.

December 29th, 2020 08:00

So found a solution here @vinhtq115, what you need to do is get a full backup of the Original Drive by using a bootable flashdrive(I used Paragon Hard Disk Manager here, but I guess Macrium Reflect and other Cloning/Backup Tools will work) and creating a copy with the Unique ID of the Drive and then restoring it to the Upgrade Drive.

What You Need:

Original HDD/SSD
Storage Device (For the Backup you'll be creating, preferably larger capacity than the Original HDD/SSD)
Upgrade HDD/SSD

So what you do is backup the original drive that came with the laptop in any storage device, making sure that you copy the Unique ID of the Original Drive, remove the Original Drive from the Laptop and replace it with the Upgraded one, and restore the backup with the Unique ID.

Hope this helps anyone here who is having this issue. And PM me if you need further instructions as I know this is quite a simplistic instruction.

No Events found!