Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 8th, 2019 00:00

Dell g5 5587 Usage and fps drops

Im using G5 laptop with Gtx 1060 and intel I7 8 gen.

While playing any game i have wierd fps spikes and usage drops to 20%. Every 15 minutes or so it drops and stays there for about 2-4 minutes and it goes back to normal.

I tried everything :

-Updating everything

-i always have it in ultra performance and it is pluged in. (obviously)

-Tweeking bios, turning off and on (speed step, torbo boost, hyperthread)

and nothing realy helped it happens in every game and sometimes not even in game just while using computer the laptop would lag.

I was monitoring temperatures i saw that with speed step anabled the temps are higher but with it turned off it is locked to 75*c

with unlocked temperatures the cpu got hotter up to 80-90*c but fps was dubbled.

don't know what to do to unlock the performance of this laptop?

42 Posts

July 8th, 2019 04:00

Easy answer - it throttles. Thermal and power limit throttling. I have the same laptop (i5-8300h) and same issues (every person which bought G5/G7 have it).

You can't (or at least I couldn't) get rid of throttling in this laptop, you CAN make it bit better though.

I recommend UnderVolting CPU and GPU - it makes system more stable.

Throttling, in nutshell, is droping Frequency (cpu or gpu) which translates to drops in FPS - it is coused by two things in this lapexplanatory - too high temp makes system throttle and drop freq

Power Limit Throttling (apears in GPU in this laptop) - GPU needs more power than system delivers, and because it does not get it GPU freq is being lowered.

July 8th, 2019 11:00

Thank you very much for the reply.

I thought about undervolting I was thinking if there is another way of dealing with it? I have a few questions if you could answer.

How much I have to undervolt to make the system stable and does it take a big hit in performance? 

And the power throttling is from the laptop not delivering enough power or the power brick is to weak?

42 Posts

July 9th, 2019 02:00

Sure, ask away. There is no simple answer to "how much to undevolt". Every chip is diffrent. Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNt9L3BWOFo&t=1s is a step by step instruction to undervolting cpu. And here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pc2NksX94E is undervolting dell 7577 (esentially the same as g5 but on 7700hq). Proper undervolting won't lower your cpu performacne! Imagine: your cpu works for example on 1,3V core voltage and it is getting too hot. By doing UV you are searching how much can you lower core voltege to sustain 100% performacne of your cpu. It is obvious that higher voltage input causes higher thermal output, so by lowering voltage input you are lowering thermal output without losing performacne. Easy. Gpu Undervolting is a bit more difficult but not so much. What I did, was to find out when my GPU lacked power, at what core frequency, and then to check how much power it needed before it power throttled. For example, my gpu power throttled at 1600MHz at 0,8V. So I manually set Voltage 0,8V max. That way GPU won't try to take more Voltage than 0,8V and this voltage translates to 1600MHz so my max GPU performance. I hope I make some sense, English isn't my native language :)

July 9th, 2019 06:00

Thank you very much that's the answer's I needed :D

1 Message

September 11th, 2019 04:00

Hey man. 

Dont know if you managed to solve this issue but I have the same laptop and was having the same problems. My knowledge on computers is pretty bad so what I did to solve it was to research various things on how to boost FPS in games. Beyond the standard disk clean up and updates, I watched a video on how to optimize Nvidia control panel and a video on how to overclock my laptop by some dude called panjno. Pretty useful stuff. I also went into bios and disabled speedstep and speed shift technology. Anyways, my laptop went from 30fps with spikes down to 15fps and a temp of 90 degrees to 90+ consistent fps and the temp stays around 75-80 degrees. No idea which of the various things I did worked but I can finally actually use my gaming laptop for games. 

December 5th, 2019 15:00

Hey, can you tell me a bit more about some of the stuff you did to get more fps? I don't know man but everything I've tried hasn't worked at all, including videos from Panjno. Tried messing with bios, undervoltage, nvidia settings, windows 10 tweaks and fixes, nothing. Did you attempt overclocking? Any applications you installed that gave you that extra fps? Damn, I wish my laptop (same as yours) could actually run some decent 40 fps at least. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

December 6th, 2019 02:00

I use throttle stop and first of all I disabled turbo boost so the system is more stable I set speed shit to 0 and undervolted the CPU

CPU core : -252

CPU cash : -125 

IccMax: on each set to maximum 

This made my laptop a lot stable temperatures are around 75c but thermals are not a problem the problem is power limit throttle even with undervolting and turning off turbo I stil get drops after 40-60 minutes of gaming they're not as bad as before and not as frequent but it's still annoying as hell I didn't found any explanation or fix to this everyone is saying to undervolt but nothing eliminates the power limit problem

1 Message

June 15th, 2020 12:00

Thanks you, gaming laptop is fine now ! 

I set the same throttlestop parameters and I installed the Dell Power Manager to put thermal settings on "Ultra Performances". I also use a laptop stand now(easier evacuation of heat from the bottom).

December 3rd, 2020 12:00

Hi there,

I had the same issue and tried the following:
Updating the BIOS
Installing the latest drivers
Installing old drivers
Undervolting the CPU
Undervolting the GPU
Undervolting both the CPU and the GPU
Reinstalling a Fresh copy of windows 10
Praying

None of those worked.

What did work was disassembling the laptop, removing the old fried thermal paste, and reapplying new thermal paste. The old paste had dried and hardened a bit, so I applied some new Noctua NH-2 paste, reassembled the laptop, and it was fixed. Temps dropped to ~74° C at full load and everything was playable once again.

I used this video to learn how to disassemble the laptop, it was a bit of a pain to do but was necessary. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS-Gg-_lRR8&t

No Events found!