Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

GS

January 17th, 2018 12:00

Dell touchpad not showing in device manager

Hi,

I am using dell inspiron 15R 5537. I am having problems with my dell touchpad. I am using wireless mouse for a long time and just few days ago my touchpad stopped working. I downloaded the latest driver from dell website the touchpad started working back again. But again next day it just disappeared. And now its not even showing in device manager. I have tried everything to get my touchpad back. I have done diagnost to check the hardware problem but touchpad passed the test. If someone has any solution kindly posy it here.

Kind help would be appreciated.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 17th, 2018 15:00

:BigSmile:

Please expand Mice And Pointed Devices in device manager. At the device manager taskbar, click on Action and select Scan For Hardware Changes. Hopefully you'll be able to see the touchpad driver now. If touchpad driver still doesn't appears, click View (device manager taskbar) and select Show Hidden Devices. Hopefully touchpad driver appears.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

January 17th, 2018 22:00

Thank you for your message.

Download & save the touchpad & chipset driver from this link http://dell.to/2Dn8xd2 & save to your desktop screen.

Install the chipset driver first, do not restart the computer install the touchpad driver & restart the computer. Look for Windows updates manually & install if any available.

This seems to be an issue either with the Windows OS or the driver.

Please click on the message tab – click new message & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

4 Posts

January 22nd, 2018 18:00

I, too, am experiencing issues with my touchpad on my Inspiron 5548.  I have no pointer so the touchpad is unusable.  I am using a wireless mouse now.

To troubleshoot, I uninstalled the touchpad in the Device Manager and clicked on delete the driver.  I then scanned for Hardware drivers and did not get a hit.  Now I cannot get the touchpad driver back.  There is no touchpad driver listed on Dell Support Drivers for my computer 71p9w32 original configuration nor can I find any link to it.  

Occasionally the Microsoft default driver kicks in, but doesn't last long before it freezes up or quits altogether.

Please help.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

January 22nd, 2018 23:00

Thank you for your message. This seems to be an issue with the driver/ Windows OS than the physical touchpad.

Please a custom test on the touchpad by following the below steps & check if there is an error.

1) Press at the Dell Logo screen

2) At the One Time Boot menu, press the arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, then press to begin ePSA.

3) Choose no for memory test and then choose system test

4) Now click on custom test and highlight Touchpad/ input devices and click run test

Please click on the message tab – click new message & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

1 Message

September 24th, 2018 06:00

Hi, 

I am also facing issues with my touchpad scrolling and zoom feature.

I am using a Latitude E7240 and have accidentally uninstalled the driver for the touchpad, hence it is not appearing anywhere on my control panel or settings.

Please advice, as I am a student and I need my scrolling and zooming to work in order to do my assignments. 

Thank you.

1 Message

October 28th, 2018 11:00

Hello, 

I have troubles with my touchpad, namely, it works perfect, but I want to turn it off while typing long texts. 

It does not appear in device manager, only my mouse is visible. I tried with "show hidden devices" and tried to install drivers for touchpad. 

I have windows 8.1, dell inspiron 15, 5567

please help. thank you. 

1 Message

May 16th, 2021 14:00

This does not work, as described. when i click on diagoniatics, the computer automatically goes into memory checking without me having to respond. there is no option  to select 'no'. Thx

August 5th, 2021 20:00

Hi,

I recently bought Dell inspiron 15 5510, touchpad is not working.

updated my system, updated all the drives using supportAssistant, still unalbe to use touchpad.

Jagannath827_0-1628221667520.png

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

August 5th, 2021 22:00

Usually there are 2 types of Touchpads in Dell computer. Please make a note that Troubleshooting a Dell touch totally depends on whether you have a precession touchpad or a legacy (older type) touchpad.  

Since Windows 10  was released Microsoft made some restrictions for OEMs . Such as using precision touchpads only. If your computer came with a precision touchpad than there are no Drivers for it they are controlled by windows and only get updated via windows updates. They work much better and easier to manage through windows settings.  

Those who don't have precision touchpads, Need Dell driver to work as well as to control different gestures like pinch to zoom, 2 finger scroll, tap to click.  They can, 

1. Please go to support.dell.com and type your service tag 

2. Click on Drivers and Downloads 

3. Search  for Term Touchpad and download the Driver. Once installed you can get inside the installed application to Control Touchpad behavior

For those who have precision touchpads  

Can control Their Touchpad behavior from windows settings >> Devices >> Touchpad 

Now Troubleshooting Part here are some important tips.

1. If you use physical left and right button and do not Tap any where in Touchpad while clicking, Please disable the Feature TAP TO CLICK , this setting can be found in either windows settings or Dell touchpad application depending on weather you have a Precision touchpad or not. 

2. Simplest way of testing a non working Touchpad is to reboot to F12 > Diagnostics, If your Touchpad do not function there, than you have Bad touchpad. 

3. If you use an external mouse, please enable the option where Touchpad gets disable as soon as an external mouse is plugged in. Again you can find the setting in windows settings or Dell touchpad application, Depending of which type of Touchpad you have 

4. BIOS updates. ensure you have the latest BIOS. You can check your BIOS version from Run > MSINFO32. Now you can go to support.dell.com and enter your service tag and search for BIOS under Drivers and Downloads.  

5. Owners with Precision Touchpads, there is not much troubleshooting to be done,  as Microsoft controls your Touchpad having the latest windows updates is recommended. 

I have over 200 Dell computers in My possession Feel free to ask any more questions. 

December 7th, 2021 11:00

My two finger scroll and zoom no longer work. It has been over a year and I have found no solutions. I believe it happened after a windows update. At first when I started experiencing problems I would go to device manager, human interface device, and the touch pad (I2C HID Device) would show some little symbol next to it. I would disable the device and reenable then it would work for a few days. I did this for a while until another update, now that no longer works. When I go to settings under touchpad there are no longer the options to turn on two finger scroll, it is simply not there as well as other options like zoom are missing. I have gone to Device Manager both under Human Interface Device and Mice and other Pointers and have updated driver. It states best drivers already installed. I'm using Dell Inspiron 5559.

2 Posts

October 26th, 2022 20:00

I have a Dell Inspiron 13 5379 with a Touchpad not working at all. I have done everything previously mentioned including resetting the laptop 3 times with a complete Windows 10 reset, saving nothing. Then after, going to Windows Update and Dell Support and redownloading everything. No Help. I purchased 3 touchpads and none have worked. Buy another touchpad or something else? Device Manager shows PS/2 Compatible Mouse under Mice but no Touchpad.

No Events found!