Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 8th, 2018 10:00

Difficulty installing Windows 7 Ultimate

I have just bought a dell inspiron 5379-17 which is Ubuntu preinstalled. I want to install Windows 7 ultimate.I have got the DVD. but the PC has no Optical drive. So I have to boot from a USB flash drive. I have created a bootable USB drive carrying the ISO file. Many attempts at installation have failed. The installer asks for a drive which it says is missing.Please guide me

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

April 9th, 2018 03:00

Not on an 8th generation system - no.  No support for 7 at all.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

April 8th, 2018 10:00

Your system has an 8th Gen Core CPU.  Windows 7 only supports up to 6th Gen Core CPUs.  The reason you can't get your ISO to run is because Windows 7 doesn't have native support for USB 3.0, so basically your system handles booting from the flash drive, and then when it hands USB control over to the Windows PE environment that loads, Windows PE can no longer see the flash drive it just booted from.  There are guides that cover injecting USB 3.0 drivers into the Windows 7 install media, but again that OS isn't supported on that system anyway.  Chances are good that things like the touchscreen and touchpad will only work partially or not at all, and you won't find Windows 7 drivers available to fix that.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

April 8th, 2018 11:00

No way you'll be running Windows 7 on this hardware -- even if you can get it installed, once installed -- it won't update.

All CPUs beyond the Intel sixth generation are Windows 10 only - and yours is an eighth generation.  If you must run Windows 7, look for one of the few new systems still using the sixth generation CPU -- the Latitude xx80 still has a couple of options for you.  Nothing in the Inspiron, XPS or Vostro line will.

Details here:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln304217/microsoft-windows-operating-system-support-for-intel-kaby-lake-processors?lang=en

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012982/the-processor-is-not-supported-together-with-the-windows-version-that

April 9th, 2018 02:00

Go to BIOS keep this setting

1. Secured Boot: Disable
2. Legacy: ON (Dont USE UEFI)
3. Use USB Port 2.0 (Black Color)

After saving the bios put the Windows 7 USB and press f12 or FN+F12 one must work and u must see the boot option select USB and continue.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

April 13th, 2018 09:00

Accepting all of yours as a solution, I purchased a new copy of WIN 10 PRO and installed at  a miraculous speed. No trouble at all. But I cost me  a fortune in terms of the software.

Yet I have a complaint about the brightness of the display which looks hazy, sort of off-white not shiny white LED. It is set at maximum though! May I know the reason? or have any solution to improvement.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

April 13th, 2018 16:00

@debonylwrote:

Accepting all of yours as a solution, I purchased a new copy of WIN 10 PRO and installed at  a miraculous speed. No trouble at all. But I cost me  a fortune in terms of the software.

Yet I have a complaint about the brightness of the display which looks hazy, sort of off-white not shiny white LED. It is set at maximum though! May I know the reason? or have any solution to improvement.

Did you install drivers starting with the chipset?

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

April 14th, 2018 04:00

Do I have to install drivers separately? The Windows installer would have installed all these during the set up. Wouldn't it?

No Events found!