Start a Conversation

Unsolved

CC

3 Posts

June 30th, 2022 16:00

Disk Usage 100% Caused by Dell Software Service and Intel Rapid Storage Service

Hello, i have Dell Inspiron 15 7566 Gaming with 2TB HDD and recently i updated the driver and software since i have long time not updated yet and i found there were some update to my laptop for BIOS and others Drivers. The problem after these update i got my HDD always in 100% state started from booting and as long as i use the device, because of that my start up was taking too many times than before and all the performance going on mess moreover when i try to open the game. The game loading become take too long and just in approximately 5 minutes after going to the game interface my devices start to heat up and then going to automatically shut down.

After that i look into task manager and i found that the disk process nearly always on 100% then i try to check my HDD on another device and there were no problem with my HDD and i try to load game from external storage and the loading time is normal. So i try to find the problem and have tried many time to try all tutorial and suggestions from web and forum but no luck untill i try to combine disable all Dell services and all services related to Intel Rapid Storage. If i only to stop one of them the problem is still go on but when i disable both of them the problem is gone.

so i wonder if the new update make the devices force the device to use SSD on HDD slot or something ?, since after that i try to use another HDD (just to ensure my diagnostic) with fresh OS installed + newest driver from dell site and the problem persist but no when using SSD.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

June 30th, 2022 23:00

Microsoft has provided the following steps to disable MSI mode for specific devices using the registry:

1. Determine that the computer is running the default AHCI driver (StorAHCI.sys):
    1. Open a command prompt with administrator privileges. Then type devmgmt.msc in the command prompt window and press Enter.
    2. Under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers right-click the AHCI controller node and select Properties. This node is normally called "Standard SATA AHCI Controller."
    3. Click the Driver Details tab.
    4. If "StorAHCI.sys" is listed, the computer is running the default driver.

• Disable MSI for the controller in the registry:
    1. In the same properties window opened in step 1.2, browse the Details tab and select Device instance path from the Property drop-down menu. Note this path.
    2. Open the Registry Editor by typing regedit in the previously opened command prompt.
    3. Browse: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\ \Device Parameters\Interrupt Management\MessageSignaledInterruptProperties , (where refers to the device instance path you noted in step 2.1).
    4. Change the value of the MSISupported key from "1" to "0."
    5. If you do not know which controller your boot device is attached to, repeat steps 2.1 through 2.4 for all AHCI controllers found under 1.2.

• Reboot the machine.

July 1st, 2022 19:00

I have opened Device Manager and i found nothing about AHCI drivers as look on the picture below:

bandicam 2022-07-02 09-37-04-169.jpg

and then i try to disable MSI controller from registry,when i try to disable all on the listed PCI my device cannot boot and then i try to disable one by one and the only part that only work is on the picture but then my booting become more longer than before.

bandicam 2022-07-02 09-37-32-865.jpg

and the disk still on 100% state. 

No Events found!