Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

32 Posts

June 10th, 2019 14:00

Fn Key on G5 5590

Hi guys, 

So a month ago or something my Fn key ( Function key ) started acting weird. Sometimes it stops working, sometimes it doesn't work at all at start up and after some time it fixes itself (it's like a delay thing). could this be a hardware issue? I mean I don't have to press it hard for it to work when it works it is like any other normal key. 

Tried solutions: 

Reinstalling HID drivers from intel and directly from windows: problem persists. 

De/activating through bios: nothing. 

Tried the one with windows mobility center: couldn't find the option. 

Pressing and holding Fn+Esc: sometimes work sometimes it doesn't. 

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

June 10th, 2019 16:00

@mino1337 wrote:

Hi guys, 

So a month ago or something my Fn key ( Function key ) started acting weird. Sometimes it stops working, sometimes it doesn't work at all at start up and after some time it fixes itself (it's like a delay thing). could this be a hardware issue? I mean I don't have to press it hard for it to work when it works it is like any other normal key. 

Tried solutions: 

Reinstalling HID drivers from intel and directly from windows: problem persists. 

De/activating through bios: nothing. 

Tried the one with windows mobility center: couldn't find the option. 

Pressing and holding Fn+Esc: sometimes work sometimes it doesn't. 

Probably Fn key going bad.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

June 11th, 2019 06:00

Hi mino1337,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Please run a systems diagnostics by either pressing F12 at startup or by running Dell SupportAssist.  Make a note of any error messages encountered and post back.  If there are none, then it could indicate either a software or driver issue.

Here is information you may find helpful:  How to fix Keyboard not working

Keyboard Usage and Troubleshooting Guide

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty or this is a software issue, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

32 Posts

June 11th, 2019 18:00

I know for a fact it's a software priority issue. 

Example: sometimes when I try to change the volume using Fn+F2 it does not work immediately so I press F2 quickly two or three times and with some delay the volume level jumps from say 18 to 12. 

the other thing is it worked one time after boot but when spotify automatically launched FN key stopped working. 

I will experiment more and update this thread if anything else happens. 

UPDATE: I think and I'm not sure spotify and other apps are causing the problem because when spotify is running there's always another window next to the volume level thing with the name of the song playing. ( see photo)

Annotation 2019-06-12 034700.png

32 Posts

June 12th, 2019 03:00

UPDATE: after waking up from sleep fn key doesn't work 

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

June 12th, 2019 04:00

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty or this is a software issue, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

No Events found!