Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

2 Posts

June 29th, 2022 12:00

G15 5521 Special Edition

I don't think my laptop is technically Alienware but from what I've been able to find, I think a good amount of the hardware is available on Alienware laptops so I'm hoping it's ok to ask here. I got my laptop 3 months ago as a replacement for one that was damaged and not able to be repaired. They didn't have a laptop similar to the one that I lost so this is what I got as a replacement. Anyway. It has one quirk that I find to be really weird and disturbing and I'm not sure what's going on. It was set to hibernate or sleep (can't remember and don't know the difference) when the lid is closed. I don't know what would be running when the laptop is sleeping or hibernating but apparently something is because last night the fan kicked in and got a lot louder than normal. It was making so much noise that I had to go check it out because it sounded so unusual. I went to pick the laptop up and it was so hot I was a little hesitant to even touch it. I didn't sign in to see what was running because I didn't have anything open when I closed the lid earlier so instead I just shut it down and flipped it over so the fan was getting more air circulation.

I don't use it for gaming but have noticed that it gets warm when I'm using it. That's not a big deal. I am concerned that it apparently does stuff while it's closed and should be sleeping, and that whatever it's doing is causing it to get really hot. Is this normal? And is there a way to find out what's running when it's closed and should be sleeping or hibernating? I changed the setting for what it does when the lid is closed so now it shuts down completely. At this point I'm guessing the machine is probably possessed. (Kidding obviously.)

(It's running Windows 11 Home edition I think, and then there's all this stuff:
Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H 2.30 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 3070 Ti 8GB GDDR6

1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive)

Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

June 29th, 2022 15:00

Hi @KPicotte1778  welcome to this free user to user Alienware laptop discussion forum. This is not Dell Support. 

Windows Reliability Monitor event timeline should reveal if there are events being reported, too hot, etc. How to use Windows Reliability Monitor to identify software issues | Dell US  

Support for Dell G15 5521 Special Edition includes Diagnostics with option to run the 40 minutes Full Test to thoroughly analyse your PC and detect hardware problems. 

July 1st, 2022 10:00

Thank you! That Reliability Monitor thing did show me that the system was doing stuff at night when I thought it was sleeping but it didn't say anything about being too hot. I guess maybe its definition of "too hot" and mine are different. Though I do think it's quite odd that the fan kicked in and was so loud that I noticed it. My laptop is always on a table near my bed, nowhere else to keep it currently, so I'm quite sure I would notice if it always made that much noise. The loud fan noise it made that night was the same loud fan noise it makes if I'm running several programs at the same time I think. Like the laptop is thinking more and gets worked up about it...hopefully that makes at least a little sense. There's the normal fan noise and then there's another fan noise...like the fan got turned from low to high.

Anyway. It looks like the laptop was trying to install some updates that night. I'm not sure why it was trying to install updates in the middle of the night, looking at the history on the Reliability Monitor, it doesn't usually install updates in the middle of the night.

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

July 1st, 2022 11:00

Hi @KPicotte1778 thank you for sharing update. 

My Alienware laptop CPU speed increases during online updates. Although the fan speed automatically increases because the laptop CPU and drives are working harder, the CPU temperature increase is minimal, nowhere near hot. 

My laptop option is ask before installing updates. 

No Events found!