1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

May 7th, 2023 01:00

G16 7620 Keyboard Not Working

Dell G16 7620

Dell G16 7620

Hi all,

I have an issue with the keyboard of my G16 7620. The keyboard is the individually backlit cherry unit and currently does not work.

Current status:

Any keypresses have no effect at all.

Backlighting profile I've previously set is still applied. Speaker/Mic Mute keys turn to different colors upon press, so does Windows lock (fn+Windows).

Things I've tried:

Executing keyboard firmware update utilities (found 3 of them on drivers page) creates a result.txt file with "FAIL" as its only content. A return_code.txt file is also produced with "3" being the only content. 

Alienware Command Center did not recognize any devices.

Rolled BIOS back to previous version, no changes.

Proceeded to perform a clean Windows 11 install. Keyboard now shows up on AWCC, but changing backlight parameters do not have any effect.

Under Device Manager -> USB controllers -> "Unknown USB device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" is there before and after the clean Windows install.

I suspect something with the keyboard firmware has gone wrong. Fortunately, I keep all the important things on my thinkpad. I really hope this is something that can be fixed with a firmware utility since I will be traveling out of the U.S. for several months.

If anyone could shed some light on this, it'd be much appreciated. I have not contacted Dell support yet since I'll be traveling in a few days. Would also like to know what would be the most efficient way of reaching out to Dell support is.

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

May 10th, 2023 02:00

Ensure that the BIOS is updated to the latest version. For more information, see the Dell Knowledge Base article Dell BIOS Updates. Turn the computer back on and retest the keyboard. When the keyboard does work correctly, attach one device at a time, and test the keyboard to see which one may have caused the issue.

4 Posts

June 3rd, 2023 17:00

Same here, only works if you plug a new keyboard and press Capslk, then works for 5 seconds and its block again (only works block windows, or block microphone, or fn lock or block mouse pad)

4 Posts

June 3rd, 2023 20:00

UPDATED: just run the dell update app in windows 11, and wait for 30 minutes for installation for new drivers and it works again !

Screenshot 2023-06-03 221809.png

like as @AdrianG001 said !! 

1 Message

June 12th, 2023 07:00

HI, hoonlgan. I have a same problem too, But i'm not in USA

Have you call Dell? If you know the reason, plz tell me plz. T_T

4 Posts

June 20th, 2023 12:00

Hello !! Now that happens me too 

JoanxD_0-1687290949497.png

I made a fresh install and downgrade the firmware of the bios and didn't work

1 Message

June 23rd, 2023 06:00

Is your keyboard working now or is it still not working? 

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

July 10th, 2023 00:00

Still no luck.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

July 10th, 2023 00:00

The issue is with the laptop's own keyboard.

4 Posts

July 10th, 2023 01:00

Not working  

2 Posts

July 12th, 2023 12:00

I'm experiencing the same issue with my G16 7620. The integrated keyboard began to periodically stop functioning only over the last two days. This typically has occurred when I connect a Dell wireless mouse via the Dell universal USB receiver, though it sometimes happens when the mouse is connected via Bluetooth. I typically use the laptop with a Dell wired keyboard and Dell wired mouse. I had previously used the Dell wireless mouse and infrequently with a Dell wireless keyboard.

I'm somewhat inclined to think there may be some sort of driver conflict between the different devices, but I can't confirm that as of now.

2 Posts

August 1st, 2023 13:00

I've just used Dell Support Services to identify the non-functioning integrated keyboard. They're dispatching a technician with a new part to replace it. Luckily my warranty is still in effect.

I'll update here to see if this is a lasting solution to the problem. 

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

September 17th, 2023 02:42

has anyone found a fix for this? I have tried everything but my backlit keyboard is not working. It did work for a couple of days then just stopped working out of nowhere On top of that i cant even adjust my screen brightness unless i go into settings. I have completed all the updates, some of which failed, as well as tried a few other remedies but no luck. Is this a warranty issue or is there a simple fix out there? 

***UPDATE*** 9/17/23........ Dell is sending out a technician to fix the issue. I only had my laptop for a few days so obviously it's still under warranty. I will update this as i go thru the process. 

***UPDATE*** 9/19/23.......Technician arrived and replaced the daughterboard. Still did not fix the issue of the keyboard not lighting up. He is getting more parts, a motherboard and possibly something else. To be continued......

***UPDATE*** 9/21/23......Tech came out and replaced the motherboard. Upon powering up my laptop the keyboard still didnt light up. He told me that i need to login and download the Alien command center module (I did this before and it did nothing) . Unfortunately however, i cannot do so cause for some reason Microsoft wont allow me to login due to the email needed to verify my identity. I deleted that email account and have absolutely no access to it so i cannot receive the code to login. (When i first received this laptop a week ago setup was smooth but since it wasnt from the factory the newly installed motherboard changed the security settings) I contacted MS and they said they cant reset it till after 30days. lol. What a nightmare this is becoming. I have a new computer and cant login to it and cannot download what is supposedly needed to make the backlit keyboard work. So i will pick back on this in 30 days i suppose. I believe the warranty is 90 days so i will be well within the time frame in case the keyboard wont light up. Honestly im not too optimistic at this point. I was able to get into the BIOS and the keyboard setting is set to bright so i know its set correctly there. I also pressed the F7 with no luck either.....Will be back around 10/22/23 to give another update. 

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

September 21st, 2023 05:35

I left it overnight with the charger unplugged and it's working again. It must've triggered a hard reset somewhere, though I'm not sure. Now it sometimes doesn't work with a usb plugged in. So.... we'll see.

No Events found!