Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

3 Posts

July 27th, 2019 08:00

G3 3590 Random Shutdown

Hello All,

My laptop has decided to randomly shutdown without any inclination as to why. This started happening yesterday.

I have:

Run the PreBoot check and it has passed.

Run both the quick and full checks in support assist and they have all passed.

Updated all drivers using support assist and dell update.

Updated windows using windows update.

Cleaned install windows 10.

The laptop has also started making a very annoying whining noise which is coming from the top left near the charging port which seems to be the common coil whine.

My issue is happening when plugged in and on battery power.

The only thing I have done to the laptop is swapped out the HDD for an SSD. I have even opened the laptop again to ensure I connected the battery fully and checked all other connections. Nothing seems loose.

I have checked the logs in the BIOS and under Power events I can see "ASF2 force off" and "WDT".

Please does anyone know what I can do?

(Also, Why is there no email option for talking to technical support.. All I can see online is Give us a call Monday-Friday 9-6. Doesn't help much since I work during the week)

3 Posts

July 29th, 2019 11:00

Bump. More events in event viewer: DistributedCOM WHEA-Logger Shutdowns are getting more frequent. When shutdown happens I have to unplug the charger before it will restart. If shutdown happened on battery, I need to wait 5 seconds before trying to restart

1 Message

August 17th, 2019 17:00

Sorry, I can't help...  have the same PC and the same problem.. I have the i7 and the gtx 1660ti version.

I have looked into it, and the problem with WHEA-logger is because of the wireless card, I don't know yet if it is a bad driver or a hardware issue, but the device vendor ID is the same in my error messages and the device manager for the qualcomm wireless card, and when I uninstall the driver there are no more WHEA logs (but there is no wifi, that is a bit annoying...)

Now I also have these shutdown problems. It happens to me when it goes out of sleep mode, sometimes the keyboard lights up and then the pc shuts down, and sometimes I can even log in and it shuts down after a few seconds of using it....

Hope we can solve this problem soon enough, it's quite annoying and I am on a trip abroad so I can't use my warranty...

PS : mine always made a whining coil noise when the fans are not spinning.

PS 2 : are you still covered by the 1 year warranty ? even if you swapped your hdd ?

3 Posts

August 20th, 2019 10:00

Do you think if we replaced the wifi card, that the problem would go away? I was looking at getting an Intel AX200 anyways to help connect to my terrible college wifi.

On the random shutdowns, have you changed your hdd to an ssd?

I've been reading up and supposedly if you turn off "Link Power Management" in Intel Rapid Storage it should stop the shutdowns.

I sent my laptop back for repair as I was tired of trying to do debug over the phone since every test passed.

Supposedly they are replacing the cpu and gpu fans. I don't know what that will fix since I think the noise occurred even with the fans off but hopefully it'll fix something haha. But now there is a parts shortage so I'm stuck waiting.

1 Message

August 23rd, 2019 18:00

Having the same problem. Installed SSD as well but I don't think that should be an issue.

I leave my laptop idle with no program running for 5-10 mins, it shuts down. 

and once it does, i cannot switch it on until i unplug the power supply.

So annoying. Contacted Dell and they emailed me saying that a software tweak would do the trick and that they will be doing a remote assistance for me. 

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

August 27th, 2019 13:00

Thank you for your message. I apologize for the inconvenience caused. I will e glad to review this & assist you further.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to find the service tag

1 Message

October 5th, 2019 20:00

Hello, I brought a dell g3 3950 couple of days back and I experienced a random shutdown. Is this random shutdown a frequent thing? Because I have the time to return my dell laptop and get full refund. What would u guys suggest? To return my laptop and buy new one or just give my present dell laptop to dell technical team and get this problem fixed? Please reply ASAP so that I can return the laptop.

Thank you.

1 Message

November 28th, 2019 01:00

Problem I found is with the option “Link Power Management” in "Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management”

I had the same problem with an SSD and have been reading up on some blogs / forums, turned off the above option and works like a charm now (has an NVMe main drive and I added an Crucial MX500 1TB SSD).

Supposedly the program thinks it is using a spinning HDD instead of a SSD, so when ever Link Power management detects the supposed HDD (which is an SSD) is not 'spinning idly', it shuts down the system to safe power.

This is the only explanation I can think of on this matter.

February 1st, 2020 19:00

I had the same problem, added a Crucial MX500 1TB SSD and the laptop would just hard shut off after a couple minutes of idle. Quite annoyed!

I turned off the Link Power management setting and it seems to be working so far. Fingers crossed!

Thanks dude!

February 1st, 2020 19:00

That being said, it's kind of dumb as the Optane app does detect the 2nd SSD correctly...they should patch that.

1 Message

May 31st, 2020 00:00

I have a g3 3579, The same problem is happening with me, i never opened my laptop, that's said, people told me that I'm having a battery problem, It's either not being connected properly or it's damaged. Now I ran the diagnostic test and also the pre-boot tests, and the problem is still happening, if it is a HDD or SSD problem then it's quite easier to fix by myself.

1 Message

August 25th, 2020 09:00

This finally fixed it!

I added the mx500 1tb ssd along with more ram and always thought it was an added ram issue. It never happens while gaming so it wasn't a huge issue for me until recently when I was in a Zoom meeting and it shutoff.

2 Posts

January 15th, 2021 06:00

I'm having the same problem, if my laptop is on standby, it randomly turns off and on again, as if some error ocurred.
I turned the link power management off but the problem still persists.

1 Message

January 27th, 2021 19:00

Link Power setting Fixed my issues as well so far.

I have SSD in drive slot and NVMe drive as main

October 9th, 2021 02:00

I have the same problem. They should do something about this because it's annoying.

I turned the link power management off, i hope it gets fixed.

No Events found!