Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

4 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 21:00

G3 3779 Turning off with battery on 100% after unplugging AC chord

Hello,

As the subject title says my G3 3779 turns off with battery on 100% after unplugging AC chord.

It started out of the blue, I even turned it on today without the plug connected. I've updated the BIOS ran every diagnostic there is, and all test say there is no issue.

Please help.

Regards,

• 

17K Posts

April 24th, 2019 05:00

Dyln,

Click the link below and update the bios again.

Dell G3 3779 Bios

Also, provide your system service tag number.

4 Posts

May 5th, 2019 14:00

Hello

I updated the bios again , and now the laptop won't start. It won't even turn on the backlit keyboard.

My service tag is:  

• 

17K Posts

May 6th, 2019 06:00

Dyln,

What are the diag leds showing on the system?

The Real Time Clock (RTC) reset function  

1. Initiate the RTC reset on the system while it is in a power-off state and is connected to AC power.
  2. Press and hold the power button for 25 seconds.
  3. Release the power button. The system RTC reset then occurs.

Diagnostic LEDs

Instead of beep codes errors are indicated via the bicolor Battery Charge/Status LED. A specific blink pattern is followed by flashing a pattern of flashes in amber, followed by white. The pattern then repeats.

A NOTE indicates important information that helps you make better use of your computer. NOTE:
The diagnostic pattern will consist of a two digit number being represented by a first group of LED blinks (1 through 9) in amber, followed by a 1.5 second pause with the LED off, and then a second group of LED blinks (1 through 9) in white. This is then followed by a three second pause, with the LED off, before repeating over again. Each LED blink takes 0.5 seconds.

The system will not shutdown when displaying the Diagnostic Error Codes.

Diagnostic Error Codes will always supersede any other use of the LED. For instance, on Notebooks, battery codes for Low Battery or Battery Failure situations will not be displayed when Diagnostic Error Codes are being displayed.

Blinking Pattern

Problem Description Suggested Resolution
Amber White
CPU failure Replace the system board.
System board failure (included BIOS corruption or ROM error) Flash latest BIOS version. If problem persists, replace the system board.
No memory/ RAM detected Confirm the memory module is installed properly. If problem persists, replace the memory module.
Memory/ RAM failure Replace the memory module
Invalid memory installed Replace the memory module
System board/ Chipset error Replace the system board.
LCD failure Replace the LCD module.
CMOS battery failure Replace the RTS battery.
PCI or Video card/ chip failure Replace the system board.
BIOS Recovery Image not found Flash latest BIOS version. If problem persists, replace the system board.
BIOS Recovery Image found but invalid Flash latest BIOS version. If problem persists, replace the system board.
Power rail failure Flash latest BIOS version. If problem persists, replace the system board.
BIOS Recovery Image not found while performing auto-recovery Flash latest BIOS version. If problem persists, replace the system board.

4 Posts

May 7th, 2019 20:00

Hello Jesse,

I got 3 amber blinks and 1 white. It seems CMOS Battery Failure.

how shall I proceed? Do I change it myself? What kind of battery is it?

Regards,

• 

17K Posts

May 8th, 2019 04:00

Dyln,

It is a Coin-cell battery
CR-2032

You can click the link below to download the online manual. The manual will provide information to replace the coin cell battery.

4 Posts

May 26th, 2019 08:00

Hello Jesse.

I managed to replace the coin-cell battery, and everything was working fine, until today.

The laptop does not turn on while un-plugged and with full charge, and turns off if I unplug it.

Thank you 

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

May 28th, 2019 07:00

What is the status of the AC adapter & battery in BIOS?

Does it say plugged in not charging or not detected?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.         

How to locate the service tag

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

May 28th, 2019 07:00

the big battery does not simply drop out now on thin Laptops.

but they still GO bad and often, try a new main battery, per dell pages telling what to do there.(service manual)

even 1 year old they can fail (told to you by the battery maker)

and happens most times abused, and that means running on battery all day every day. (avoiding AC pack)

and capacity decreases every day, abused,.  per the battery makers charts on use and life.  all well documented,

endless.

No Events found!