Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 21st, 2020 15:00

G5 15 5587 (and possibly others) - throttles after 1.14 BIOS update.

Hello everyone!

So, as BIOS 1.14 locks all kinds of anti-throttling tweaking I was wondering - is there any way to make the system a bit more useable? I was looking into limiting Turbo Boost ratios, but the "all or nothing" option available in bios is not really enough, since I don't want my computer to keep roasting itself trying to keep up with 3.9-4 GHz, but the stock 2.2 isn't really enough. My question is - is there any way to do such tweaking now, maybe unlocking some hidden settings in BIOS?

I know there will be people advising to simply flash an older version of BIOS and going on with ThrottleStop, but I still have hope that there is something to be done and Dell and Intel have not just made the system unusable on current software.

Thanks and have a nice day everyone!

26 Posts

October 21st, 2020 17:00

You can use ThrottleStop to adjust the Speed Shift Max value in the TPL window. This lets you control how much turbo boost to use. Not as good as CPU voltage control but better than "all or none" turbo boost.

1 Message

October 23rd, 2020 06:00

Hi, I also have a G5 15 5587 with 1.14 BIOS and have tried unsuccessfully to roll back to version 1.12.2(the last version before Plundervolt update).

I've tried simply running the .exe from the drivers page only to be met with the message "BIOS update blocked due to unsupported downgrade" during the restart.

The same happened when i tried using the BIOS recovery method described by Tomcat00 here:

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Games-crashing-on-Dell-5770-since-bios-and-windows-update/m-p/7376667/highlight/true#M62205

I'm unfamiliar with flashing the BIOS; is that any different to the methods I've attempted?

1 Message

November 2nd, 2020 03:00

Hi,

I have the same problem, atm my G5 15 5587 is unusable with Throtteling problems and audio lagging/buzzing.

I am desperate and the only solution I see at the moment is to throw laptop in the trash.

I hope for a quick solution but i strongly doubt.

3 Posts

November 3rd, 2020 09:00

Hi!

The .exe method will definitely not work, sadly, and by flashing BIOS I meant the recovery method. So yeah, there's no way of downgrading BIOS now, at least afaik.

As mentioned above, you can tweak the TurboBoost frequency in ThrottleStop still, it kinda helps. I am currently keeping mine at 3.5 GHz.

3 Posts

November 3rd, 2020 09:00

Hi @nonnoalex!

Yes, this update is a mess. It's understandable why it had to happen, but the fact that both Dell and Intel are turning blind eyes to the issue of computers being basically unusable with their solutions is, to say the least, disappointing. 

There is a response above that mentions that one can still lock TurboBoost ratios via ThrottleStop, that's what I've done so far and kept it at 3.5 GHz, doing this has mostly solved the issue.

I am now facing random freezes that lead to force reboots sometimes, but I am almost sure that this is not a CPU/hardware issue, but rather a Windows issue.

3 Posts

November 3rd, 2020 13:00

I managed to downgrade from 1.14.1 to 1.10.0 using this tutorial " https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zFAU9DKmVk " and here's the github link " https://github.com/vuquangtrong/Dell-PFS-BIOS-Assembler ". Hope this helps : )

1 Message

March 2nd, 2021 22:00

I didn't try it yet because we are in 1.15.0 version, so I don't want to risk to lose my laptop. The warning in the GitHub repo just shocked me. So at this point is it risky to downgrade from 1.15.0 to 1.11.1 or 1.12.2 Which one do I may have to go to? And, sure I want to don't lose my laptop for downgrading by this method. (The .exe didn't work, for sure)

No Events found!