Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 3rd, 2020 08:00

G7 7790 Internal display and HDMI are very slow, DisplayPort is fine

So, I have a Dell G7 7790 with an GeForce RTX 2060 card. I am able to run pretty much whatever I've tried on an external monitor with the Display Port smoothly. When I try to run the same games without an external display, the framerate drops significantly (upwards of 60FPS to 10 or 20). I've seen that the internal display is expected t be a little worse (I don't get the technical reasons for it, but that doesn't matter). The numbers I've seen mentioned are 10%-15% worse than an external display.

System: Dell G7 1770, Windows 10.

Graphics: Intel UHD whatever + NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060.

Memory 15.82 GB

When running without an external monitor, the NVIDIA card is in use, and the intel card shows very low utilization. The HDMI port also behaves like the internal display, even though it shows as connected to the NVIDIA card in windows advanced display settings. When using the HDMI, the Intel card shows ~0% utilization.

Is there a way to fix this, or is this just what I'm stuck with. I am not surprised that the NVIDIA card has to do a copy to the Intel card before outputting, but it should be copying a raw, fully-rendered frame. This would increase latency, but I would not expect it to affect framerate this much.

7 Posts

May 23rd, 2020 06:00

Oops, forgot to come back to this. It turns out it was actually a severe throttling measure Dell adds when using the incorrect power supply. Make sure you use a Dell power supply with at least the output rating of the stock one.

I thought it was a port issue because I always used an old power supply Whalen away from home, and ports away from home were we're usually HDMI.

7 Posts

April 3rd, 2020 09:00

I updated the drivers today (the issue has persisted for nearly a year, across several updates). I have not updated the BIOS recently, but I have since the issue has existed. I'll try updating the BIOS again.

7 Posts

So, the graphics drivers fixed it. I realized there was an error in my first test after updating the driver. I have updated graphics drivers a few times, but I'm glad this one worked.

• 

16.7K Posts

Talonj123,

Have you updated the video card drivers and the bios in the system? You can click here to update the drivers. Click here for information maximizing game performance

7 Posts

April 21st, 2020 18:00

The graphics drivers update did improve the situation, but If I attempt to run something a bit more intensive, I get the same issue. I can run a game on the display port just fine (60 FPS), then switch over to the HDMI cable and get 10 FPS. I have ensured the game is set to use the NVIDIA card (also tried with auto-select) and have tried various optimizations. Regardless, I get a "smooth" 10 FPS on HDMI instead of the 60FPS I get on DP.

7 Posts

April 22nd, 2020 09:00

The response from 'DELL-Cares' is that I should not attempt to use the HDMI. This really does not help.

1 Message

May 23rd, 2020 01:00

I have G7 7790, how can i check if i have same problem? wich version drivers do you use?

June 5th, 2020 03:00

the display port is attached to intel card and the nvidia has the hdmi ?i have the same laptop and i wonder how i can make gsync work .thanks 

No Events found!