Highlighted
Immanuel154
1 Nickel

Grinding/buzzing noise from Fan - Dell G3 15

Please Help, there is a really loud grinding/buzzing sound from fans when I use the laptop. The laptop fans suddenly start running really fast and this grinding/buzzing sound appears. This is really annoying and puts the laptop out of function. Please find a solution. Or please tell me if I can exchange for a new laptop.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
JOcean
5 Tungsten

Re: Grinding/buzzing noise from Fan - Dell G3 15

I am assuming that your laptop is under warranty? It is possible that the fans have a problem.You can run diagnostics on the system but I would also suggest you call Dell tech support for your region. The can diagnose and decide a course of action.

But restart the system and at the Dell splash screen start tapping F12. Run full system diagnostics paying attention to the fan results. But even if everything passes I would suggest calling tech support.

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS B450-F Gaming with Ryzen 5 2600X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
jbaker2000
1 Copper

I have the exact same problem, I ran the BIOS diagnostics and everything came back clear, but during testing, it was obviously the video card fan that was the one clicking/buzzing strangely. 

0 Kudos
Immanuel154
1 Nickel

Due to the Buzzing Fan - I got my Laptop fans replaced, and even after that it still makes the buzzing/grinding noise, furthermore the laptop is now overheating as well, even after repairs. This is a big PROBLEM - I don't know what to do will they allow a refund?
0 Kudos
GrimmjowX
1 Copper

I'm having the same issue.

I tried to check the fan using a flashlight while it's on, and I saw the fan going on and off.

I'll have this checked to the store where I purchased it for parts replacement using my warranty.

0 Kudos

Thank you for your message. I apologize for the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.

What is the BIOS version installed?

Please update the following drivers.

Intel Chipset Device driver software
Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Driver
BIOS (even if you have the latest version)

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to locate the service tag

Dell-SreejithR
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
Immanuel154
1 Nickel

How do i find my bios version?

0 Kudos
AndyGadget
1 Copper

I have exactly the same problem. I thought it was the HDD so replaced it with an SSD but now its very obvious its one of the fans. It makes a loud scratching and scraping, then goes quite for a bit. On old servers this was usually down to the fan being worn out and the bearings going allowing it to scape the housing , but I would not expect this on a laptop less then six months old.

As others have said when it makes a noise its very loud, especially as the machine is normally quiet.

0 Kudos
Candez
1 Copper

I have a similar problem too!! In my case I think it’ s the HDD but also the fun run amd make noise also when the pc is stopped at the desktop view

0 Kudos