Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 23rd, 2018 16:00

Half-capacity battery after a year

I got my computer in November of 2017 and have been using it normally. However, I noticed that as time has passed, the battery needs to be charged increasingly more often, so I checked the battery report. Turns out, I'm at half capacity, even though my computer is only a year old (I heard that battery lifespans are typically 2-4 years?). In fact, the battery was not even at full capacity when I got the computer, and a month after I got it was at 87% of the design capacity. I contacted Dell and asked them about it and it seems the only fixes are to pay 49$ for a technician to replace the faulty battery, or to pay for my computer to be mailed somewhere for them to fix because I contacted them after a year of ownership. Did anyone have the same issue, and what did you do?

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 23rd, 2018 17:00

Not knowing which model you have (please post the model number), it is hard to say if your particular model has any issues with battery life. The average laptop battery starts to fail in 1-2 years. And that depends on how many times it has been charged (average is 400 charges). The following links may help.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/252025/a_laptop_battery_owners_guide.html

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln85590/how-to-improve-your-dell-laptops-battery-performance?lang=en

December 23rd, 2018 19:00

My computer is an Inspiron 13 5000 series model 5379. The current battery information is: 

NAME DELL CYMGM79
MANUFACTURER Samsung SDI
SERIAL NUMBER 62075
CHEMISTRY LION
DESIGN CAPACITY 41,998 mWh
FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 21,569 mWh
CYCLE COUNT -

For some reason the cycle count doesn't show up? Also, just a side note, I checked the initial capacity in November which was 39,719 mWh, in comparison to the design capacity of 41,998 mWh.

Thank you for the two links; I think I was just used to computers with higher capacities, so this incident caught me off guard. I still feel like this is rather unusual for a battery to deteriorate so quickly.

No Events found!