Start a Conversation

Unsolved

U

1 Message

January 30th, 2020 15:00

Help pleaseeeeeee!!! Inspiron 5559 wont boot up

I am faced with error for hard drive is faulty, but it was working perfectly fine yesterday. I opened a game that froze so I forced shut down my laptop and when I turned it on again, it gave me ePSA and I'm stuck on it. I tried all solutions on YouTube, but nothing worked.

To start with, my laptop is Dell Inspiron 5559. After ePSA took place, it was clear that the hard drive had a problem with it, so to continue using my laptop safely, I have to buy a new hard drive.

However, I trust my laptop and I know my laptop more than anyone else! The hard drive is perfectly fine! I don't know why am I forced to buy a new one just for the fact that it exceeds the warranty by a couple of months, let alone years. This is just business! I know it is perfectly fine, but it just happened all of a sudden and this is the fact that makes things hard to comprehend for me.

In the meantime, I   desperately request a solution on how to boot my Windows and start working normally on my laptop. To be honest,  I tried most of the solutions I could find on the internet, but did not find what could really help me and I'm afraid to do something that might change original settings or delete my personal files on my laptop.

By requesting this, I am fully aware that by continuing the use of my laptop without getting a new hard drive, this will continue to damage the data stored, and I admit that getting a solution to access my Windows normally (because I urgently need it in the meantime) despite the hard drive is prompted to be faulty is my top priority right now, and I am willing to take risks

In case you are wondering what error code I got, it is as following:

Inspiron 5559
Service Tag:
Warranty: 

Critical issue found
Error Code: 142
Description: Hard Drive - self test unsuccessful , terminated

The crisis I had yesterday is this so that you can find a temporary solution to give me (pretty pleaseeee)

I had a Wi-Fi problem, so I opened a game that I installed before in 2018 to play, but the game was starting way too slow and the screen froze on the start menu and hung. Well, I assumed that it might be corrupted, so I forced shut down my laptop by pressing on the switch button for a few seconds.

The next time I turned it on, it gave me the ePSA loop. Either, I find a solution and apply it, or I click exit and the laptop turns off again. I tried turning it off and on many times, until I stopped getting into the ePSA. Before I turned it on for the last time, I just wiped the screen and keyboard, so perhaps I pressed on a button on the keyboard which had got me out of the ePSA loop or lead me to what I'm about to say.

The next thing was that I received the DELL logo with 'Automatic Repair' loading underneath it. I was relaxed because I got out of the ePSA loop, which I yet have no idea how I got out of it. Unfortunately, that did not make me happy due to the next thing that happened. The Automatic Repair thingy loaded for alot of minutes followed by a black screen with on a mouse moving, but the mouse pointer is strange, a little bit larger than usual (I assumed that it is somehow related to the look of the screen when it is under safe mode, and to be honest, I don't know if I entered safe mode before or not, but a couple of times in the past, on a different hardware, this shape which I'm referring to happened, if you got what I'm talking about and I don't know if safe mode is normal screen or not). 

It remained on that state for about 20-30 minutes until I got back the same DELL logo with 'Diagnosing' -something underneath it. I waited for a long time before it gave me another phrase under the logo telling me that it is Repairing the error and that it might take up to an hour. I waited for only 10 minutes before I got to the screen telling me that Automatic Repair failed.

Then I re-tried turning on and off the laptop, this time under the 'Automatic Repair' loop for a couple of few more times until I forced shut down it and left it for a few hours. I thought perhaps it needs to cool down.

The next morning, I turned it on, greeted by the Automatic Repeair loop again. I started searching on the internet for solutions where now of the solutions told me to press the F2 button before the logo appears. Well, I was greeted by another screen and was too scared to click anything, so I shut it down. I tried the same thing followed by F12 and I got that screen of BIOS Setup that comes when I press F2 during ePSA. I clicked exit (Just as how it did during the very first ePSA loop), but the next time I turned it on......... I entered the ePSA loop again. I couldn't find anymore solutions, nor did I try all the solutions for the Automatic Repair. In the first place, I don't know how did I exit the ePSA loop for the first time and entered Automatic Repair. 

I thought to myself that perhaps if I enter the Automatic Repair loop, I might find more solutions which I have not tried yet.
 The fact that BIOS actually boot up while automatic repair did not work, but after shutting it down and turning it on again, bios couldn't boot up windows is literally driving me nuts....
By the way, one of the solutions I read on the internet, it is to set the very last option in the BIOS Setup to off. When I did so, I was greeted by another screen saying "no bootable device found." 

At this point, I knew that I am should request a temporary solution from you.

I really need my laptop in the meantime before I buy a new hard drive and to access it, all what I need is a temporary solution despite the risks I might take by doing so. I just want to open my laptop normally and work with it without entering ePSA loop, and properly exiting the Automatic Repair thingy like how it normally works.

P.S. I know that not replacing hard drive immediately might cause loss of data, but unlike factory reset, not all data will be deleted immediately. Hence, please don't provide me a solution that cause permanent and immediate deletion of personal files like factory reset because most of my files are valuable memories... 

I am desperately need help here and I'm am desperately waiting for your reply.  Thank you in advance.

But please give me affordable solutions too, I've been crying over my dear laptop since yesterday!!!!!

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

January 31st, 2020 05:00

This link will further describe a 142 error. And though you may think the HDD (hard drive) is "perfectly fine" the self test states that the drive needs replacement. Your system is somewhere around 5 years old and at that age an HDD can go at any time and in some cases without warning. But the fact you saw the game freeze may be an indication. Sometimes your HDD will get noisy like clicking sounds and that is an indicator as well. The Dell service manual here describes the HDD replacement procedure. And this video should help.

When you replace the hard drive think about installing an SSD instead. The performance is much faster and they are far more reliable.

One last thing. To verify the HDD failure run a full diagnostic test. At the Dell splash screen (at startup) start tapping F12. Run a full diagnostic and watch for HDD errors.

No Events found!