Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

N

1 Message

October 18th, 2022 21:00

Inspiron 14 5410 2-in-1, hinge issues

I purchased this laptop for its functionality back in September 2021 and have been satisfied since. About a month ago, the laptop started making clicking noises at the hinge when opening the display but i brushed this off as a normal issue and didn't think much about it.

Yesterday, when I was opening my laptop, the hinge broke and in the process cracked the glass display. As a careful user this was very unexpected since I have always trusted Dell for its reliability of its products (My 7.5 year old Dell Inspiron is still running to this day). When i contacted Dell Support, I was disappointed to learn that it would take almost 4 weeks to replace the broken parts and that it may not be covered under warranty.

Would really appreciate if Dell was able to loan a laptop in the meantime or replace my laptop with a working one. 4 weeks is way too long for replacement of parts and I expected a fast fix. Definitely disappointed in the service.

Upon further research, I learnt that this is a common issue for Dell laptops due to the lack of calibration for the hinge when it was manufactured, resulting in excessive force needed to open the laptop and hence leading to issues like this. Dell should consider changing their design or use better materials for the hinge problem.

photo_2022-10-19_12-08-35.jpg

1 Message

October 23rd, 2022 18:00

This is identical to my issue. They scheduled next day repair followed by emails stating parts are not available.

1 Message

October 31st, 2022 05:00

I have experienced a similar problem. I bought my laptop in October 2021 and have encountered endless problems with it. Most recently the right side hinge started creaking and at a closer look the screen had started popping out. I contacted Dell and sent my laptop in for a repair which they said would take 12 working days. It has been 12 working days and I had not received any updates. I called Dell today and they informed me that the required part is not available until the 15th November and a replacement laptop would also take 2-3 weeks to arrive. 

What am I meant to do? I cannot work without my laptop and it will have been 6 weeks by the end and that is if I receive it by then

2 Posts

November 6th, 2022 01:00

I bought this laptop from Dell India in January 2022. Now I am in Sri Lanka, my home country. This hinge was damaged despite my very careful handling of it. Dell India said I have to apply online for a warranty transfer. However, my application was rejected twice during the last one and half months. After a hectic triumph, I was able to find the Dell Sri Lanka authorities. I don't know what will happen in the coming weeks. My warranty is expiring next January (2023).

2 Posts

November 6th, 2022 01:00

A closer viewA closer view

The right hinge has the trouble.The right hinge has the trouble.

2 Posts

January 9th, 2023 22:00

20230109_191529.jpg

• I bought this laptop in 9 january 2022, and last night when it was also 9 Jan, it started broke similar with your case. I checked the serial number for warranty and ofcourse its already expired.
  • I try to contact the authorized Indonesia's dell service and parts, it cost me $770 (which 67% from it price when I bought lol) for complete repair (LCD and the hinge).
  • Dissappointed with how Dell handle this issues, even we can not depend on the authorized service center for minimal repair (e.g the hinge repair might not cost that much).
  • Additional note: I still use my former office laptop from jan-september, which mean I recently use this laptop on daily basis/frequently since October. Imagine how vulnerable the hinge.

1 Message

January 16th, 2023 04:00

Just happened to mine too, did you get this resolved/ replaced or repaired?

2 Posts

January 16th, 2023 05:00

Nope, this is the condition now, half right of the screen losing its touchscreen feature. So disappointed since I did not get a fair solution given its design defect rather than customer mishandling.
WhatsApp Image 2023-01-16 at 19.59.08.jpeg

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

August 30th, 2023 10:55

Yes, almost all the users of Dell Inspiron 5410 2 in 1 will have the same issue. The hinge mechanism used in these laptops are prone to dust and getting hard over time. While the body on which the hinges are mounted is weak. Initial tension on hinge is low at manufactured design. It is not tested for higher tension due to hinge getting harder to open which results in increased tension on the body mount.

While you may try to service hinge and make it clean of dirt, oil it. Make the mount stronger by applying some adhesive which does not damage the body and further repairability.

No Events found!