Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

C

134 Posts

February 20th, 2019 10:00

How long should Bios update take? Looks like frozen

Hi
Finally I dared to update the Bios (with a full loaded battery - that took me some months to receive - and the AC in place!!).
I downloaded the Bios update from the Dell Driver page, and after the download I clicked on install.
Then I closed all other programs and clicked ok.
Quickly it started to shot the laptop down, and now it shows a blue screen with message "Closing down" - in spanish.

I know it's dangerous to loose power while updating the Bios, but I thought the process was quick like some secs.
If the bluescreen persists, should I hard reboot?

I wanted to add a photo of the screen, but looks like it's not allowed anymore.

So basically its a blue creen saying "Apagando equipo"

Seems like frozen. 

A bit scary!

Thanks

Dell Inspiron 14 3437

134 Posts

February 20th, 2019 10:00

Now the screensaver came into action, and soon it will be dead?

134 Posts

February 20th, 2019 11:00

Against all odds it finally restarted. This time I was happy to hear the loud buzzer that announces the failing cmos batterie ;-)

BUT

Nothing is updated. 

I checked my Bios version, it is still the same (A02)

Maybe I should avoid a new stress and just let it like it is. Better an old Bios than a broken motherboard.

So scary!!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 20th, 2019 13:00

Make sure you buy a new coin cell cmos battery and install it according to your manual. It's cheap, only $2 or so.

That was a good idea not to force a bios update. As long as the computer is running OK don't update the bios unless told to by a support tech at Dell.. 

134 Posts

February 20th, 2019 14:00

Thank you Mary,

In fact, I had looked at the manual that explains how to change the CMOS battery and it's horrendous, it needs to quit almost every piece of the laptop. Congratulations to the engineers who designed this machine.

I don't feel able to do that.

And my tech guy takes a fortune for the smallest task and always does more than asked, to justify the price. Regarding the Bios update, yes there are quite a few things that are not working on that computer, like it freezes all the time, windows start button not working nor cortana, no keyboard light, unresponsiveness of touchpad and keyboard, stand by mode not working (instead it restarts), when plugged on AC charger it restarts too, and some other things, besides being slow in general.

So I put a lot of energy in getting this new battery delivered (the big one) and now that I have it the Bios update still doesn't work. But looks like it's just not possible or it will break completely.

February 21st, 2019 00:00

mine freezes too.

1 Message

July 18th, 2019 15:00

Brand new Inspiron 15 with 5584 Chipset that I was advised to urgently update after purchasing today and checking the Dell site for updates.

After starting the update file it ran for a few minutes then began a restart but it has been showing a blank black screen for over 20 minutes now.

I still hear the fan so it did not turn off.

no idea what is happening and I wonder how long I should leave it?

• 

16.7K Posts

July 19th, 2019 05:00

rjlanc,

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number.

• 

16.7K Posts

July 22nd, 2019 10:00

rjlanc,

I am still waiting on the system service tag. Did you get the issue resolved?

5 Posts

July 26th, 2019 13:00

Hello Jesse,

same issue with an inspiron 5584, trying to update BIOS to 1.5.2

How should I proceed?

Kind regards, Maurizio

5 Posts

July 29th, 2019 06:00

Hello, I solved with a step by step upgrade. My notebook run bios 1.1.0. I upgraded to 1.3.1, than to 1.4.1 and finally installed successfully 1.5.2.

134 Posts

August 6th, 2019 07:00

How did you find the "old" updates? Though not sure if I would do that because every update brings a new risk of breaking everything. Besides some bluescreens here and now, sometimes several times a day, my system works, and if I try to force the bios update I am afraid it will eventually break everything.

1 Message

August 17th, 2019 05:00

This is happening now, to me. 1 hour, and still stuck. I don't dare abort or turn the PC off, as I'll lose a weekend's crucial work time if the PC stops working properly. Windows 10, Dell, XPS One 2720, says update Version A16, but I know no more than that: it's  just whatever Support Assistant recommended this morning. I should have known better than to believe it. Now what do I do? Getting desperate.

1 Message

August 18th, 2019 09:00

How did your issue resolve? Mine has been going for over 2 hours. 

August 23rd, 2019 07:00

I should have ignored Dell';s request to update. NOw Bios is still updating **bleep**?

• 

16.7K Posts

August 29th, 2019 08:00

KathyRankin,

A bios update is not necessary unless you are having issues with your computer and the bios update will resolve that issue. Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number.

No Events found!