Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 11th, 2020 17:00

How to access a deceased person's laptop

I am trying to access a relative's Inspiron 17R 5737 laptop but another relative threw out the book that had the password. I tried Microsoft but it was no help, the deceased while having a password locked computer did not have a MS email, Skype name and TMK no phone associated with the account so Microsoft said there was nothing they could do without legal action.

I was going to try a method involving booting from a USB but I cannot get into the BIOS using any information including the method on Dell's site with the F2 or Fn + F2, nothing gets me into the BIOS.

Is there anything I can do? Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

September 11th, 2020 19:00

Remove hard drive.

Connect it to working PC with USB-to-SATA adapter.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

September 11th, 2020 21:00

@Eric Stork  I agree with the above suggestion.  SATA to USB adapters are inexpensive, fairly easy to find, and very useful.  To simply accessing a user profile folder when browsing a drive for another system, I recommend the free and excellent Explorer++ utility.  Run it as administrator so you can browse the attached drive with your admin privileges rather than the standard user privileges that are normally in effect even for admin users.  You'll save yourself from Windows having to change the security permissions on the entire user profile folder before you can browse that way.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

September 12th, 2020 08:00

https://www.newegg.com/p/181-00D8-00004?Item=181-00D8-00004  should work

SATA and USB are both backwards compatible

35 Posts

September 12th, 2020 08:00

Thank you both.

Is there a particular type of USB to SATA cable to get? Looking at some listings there appear to be different names, some mention USB 2 or 3, some SATA I, II or III.

3 Apprentice

• 

560 Posts

September 12th, 2020 13:00

And once you've retrieved any personal data, you can reformat the drive and reinstall Windows to wipe off the password should you decide to reuse the laptop. Try the Dell factory restore option first as it appears that this model was originally shipped with Windows 8.1, but if the laptop already has Windows 10 on it and the factory restore option isn't possible, you can preform a clean install of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool, or at the logon screen by clicking on the power icon and selecting restart while holding down the shift key. This will bring up the troubling-shooting menu. Select troubleshoot and then reset this PC. Select remove everything to perform a clean install as keep my files may retain certain settings as well as the password. Once it completes, you''ll just have to manually download and install any missing drivers or pre-loaded software that came with the system.
No Events found!