Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 22nd, 2020 15:00

How to boot to usb on Inspiron 15 3567 with UEFI

I'm helping to repair a 15 3567 that was cycling with the Dell splash screen only, and would not finish the POST. Tried numerous repair efforts that did not work. Decided to remove the hard drive, attach it to another computer and hopefully access the drive to remove some important school documents. When I got into the drive, it said that the hard drive was empty and contained no files and had a full TB of free space, which is the size of the hard drive. Totally lost and wondering what happened to the hard drive and the info on it, I reinstalled the hard drive and followed directions from Dell using their OS Recovery Tool. I followed that by downloading onto a USB flash drive, Windows 10 along with all that was on the computer when it was originally sold.

The problem arises when inserting the flash drive into the 15 3567, there is no option to change the boot sequence to usb. I did have an option to run a diagnostic check on the computer and it ran for hours and reported that all the hardware had passed the tests and was operating properly. But I can't get it to boot to the USB port. The problem seems to be that  "Boot Mode is set to UEFI: Secure Boot: ON; PTT is ON".

What do I do to fix this, any ideas? Please help.

April 24th, 2020 14:00

I have followed all the instructions to the letter,,BUT,,jphughan, had the right idea. Actually it hit me while sleeping last night. I sat up and said "holy crap, the USB". And your right, that port works for most things but would not read this bootable flash drive.

I now have it inserted and have followed instructions and have a question, yes, another one. I reached the point where it asks "Where do you want to install Windows?" Below that I sew;

Drive 0 Partition 1:ESP            650.0 MB Total     582.0 MB Free   System

Drive 0 Partition 2                    128.0 MB Total     128.0 MB Free   MSR (Reserved)

Drive 0 Partition 3                    917.3 GB Total     917.3 GB Free    Primary

Drive 0 Partition 4                   760 .0 MB Total    125.0  MB Free    Recovery

Drive 0 Partition 5: Image         11.6 GB Total       167.0 MB Free   Recovery

Drive 0 Partition 6: DELLSUPPORT  1.1 GB Total  435.0 MB Free  Recovery

Windows can't be installed on Drive (then it said this on everyone of the partitions) (show details)

Details are different with most of the and can list those if needed, then below that it list options:

Refresh      Delete      Format      New      Load Driver      Extend

Questions: Why 6 partitions on this 15 3567 when they were never seen before? And what do I do now? Do I format each one of them and hope this "New Windows" does what its suppose to do because it won't let me load it onto it the way it is?

And I really hate sounding so stupid all the time asking all these questions but would just like to get it back to this college kid even though he has lost all his work and will probably get an incomplete on his report card.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

April 24th, 2020 16:00

@1967 Mustang 

follow the steps in : https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/clean-install-windows-10

When you get to the screen https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/xdYxzupfYquEAn8nmLsXEE-650-80.png  ,  choose "Change what to keep"   then select "Nothing".

This will wipe your entire hard drive which is what you want to do!

April 24th, 2020 16:00

Thanks Clintlgm for the link, I have reviewed that site and have watched the videos, but they don't address the issue with the hard drive already partitioned and how to get past that issue. I just need to know what to do at this point, do I format one of them or all of them? Which one do I tell it to install Windows 10 on? Right now I can't get past this spot. 

April 24th, 2020 17:00

Thanks nyc10036, but I don't see those windows that are shown in this link, thanks though. I still have no idea what to do at this point, I'm stuck. 

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

April 24th, 2020 17:00

I give up.

Find a video on Youtube and follow along.

April 24th, 2020 18:00

Thanks, nyc, I'm about to also. This is the most frustrating "simple" repair I have ever did. Think I should just "format" the largest partition (917.3 GB) and install windows 10 on that? Otherwise I'm just sitting here stuck,,,after all, I have nothing to lose at this point.

April 25th, 2020 14:00

Actually I did not do all that was in that post but by reading one of the links in there I went forward and fixed it. I was at the screen with all the partitions drives and just started highlighting them and deleting them. Finally I had the full TB hard drive back and windows loaded onto it.

I want to thank all of you who took the time to assist in helping me with this problem, I'm truly grateful.

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

May 19th, 2020 08:00

So what partitions are you showing now in Disk Management? I ask because it sounds like you may have installed Legacy rather than UEFI?

1 Message

June 24th, 2020 21:00

I want to install Ubuntu with usb, so can i install that with UEFI 

PLZ reply me

2 Posts

July 18th, 2020 15:00

That glorious tidbit about FAT32 was the FIX for me.
I merely changed USB HDD's EFI partition type to FAT32, 
then this drive appeared in UEFI section of
F12 boot menu. 
Working.

1 Message

November 27th, 2021 23:00

I landed here after searching for instructions to manually enter a boot option for USB drives (it was missing on my device). Solved my problem and I got way too invested in whether or not you figured out that you needed to delete the old partitions   Anyway glad you figured it out.

P. S. I signed up for an account here just for this. No regrets. 

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

May 11th, 2024 21:52

Now I am having the same issue, the problem is I did the same thing and now its changed into legacy, there is no USB option showing up in UEFI. However, it is being showed up in Legacy boot, thats quite strange. I have been trying for past 3 days every type of solution, I updated the bios to max and factory reseted the bios many times, resetted the laptop many times, but I cannot get the usb show up in uefi, I had to forcely download windows in legacy so that I could work, I want a fix to this. When I first formatted this laptop, it had 4 partitions, I deleted them all and installed windows. When I checked it was legacy so I reinstalled it using uefi usb. It still installed as legacy and since this day I cant find anything. If anyone knows it, then kindly help.

(edited)

No Events found!