Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

32 Posts

May 25th, 2019 03:00

How to run Dell N4110 without main monitor

Out of the ordinary situation here. I have a use for my n4110 laptop where I would like to run it with the monitor completely removed and connect an external vga monitor. Unlike a n5110 I used to have this n4110 bios will not let it boot without the monitor connected. Without a bios mod that would be out of the question. Putting on just the monitor cable and circuit board may do it although I would rather not do that unless I have to (have to get the parts as I don’t want to mess with my good working monitor setup). Would anyone know if there are a couple of the cable connections that maybe could be jumped to signal the bios that there is something connected to it? Or if not does anyone know what n4110 type or similar 14” latitude laptop may operate without a monitor? Thanks for any ideas.

September 15th, 2021 19:00

Did you ever figure this out?

I'm trying to run the same laptop headless with the display unplugged, and so far no luck

32 Posts

September 15th, 2021 21:00

Sorry I didn't. Actually I am not for sure why I needed to do this with the n4110 as I have the mentioned n5110 (amd) that does it just fine. And it is without a screen where my n4110 has a screen. Maybe I was trying to use a different n4110 for some reason. What I have found is that some laptops do this just fine and some don't. Nothing to do but try to find from others which ones will or won't. It does seem like there may be some way to trick the bios into thinking there is a screen on the pc but not one has came up with that and I did no more research into it. Maybe some of the more techy type sites like superuser could help.Sorry again. Fred

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

September 16th, 2021 00:00

As of now there is no way to do it. 

LCD test is a part of BIOS POST process, it doesn't detect LCD , it won't boot. 

BIOS MODS - I hardly think that are any, the efforts required to develop a MOD are not worth. 

Now if we can connect the external monitor directly to the Main motherboard, than it may work. 

Both of you Google : LVDS to HDMI cable

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

September 16th, 2021 05:00

As of now there is no way to do it. 

LCD test is a part of BIOS POST process, it doesn't detect LCD , it won't boot. 

BIOS MODS - I hardly think that are any, the efforts required to develop a MOD are not worth. 

Now if we can connect the external monitor directly to the Main motherboard, than it may work. 

No Events found!