Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 24th, 2020 22:00

How to tell if my DC Jack is broken, or motherboard

I have a Dell Inspiron 5558, and after realizing I could no longer charge the battery, I bought a new battery. After this, the problem persists. When I plug in the charger, it keeps the laptop alive, but will not charge the battery. I've heard that this may be because of a faulty motherboard, or DC Jack (I guess the port that you plug the power cord into). It's not worth the money for me to buy a new motherboard, but I'd be willing to get a new jack. However, how do I know if the problem is in the motherboard, or the jack? Anything helps, thanks!

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 25th, 2020 08:00

@wowamazingcool 

"The AC adapter wattage cannot be determined" is probable your trouble!!!

Make sure the center pin is not missing!!!

IMG_4901#2.jpg

The next thing would be the DC Jack.

The "Center Pin" should make contact with the "Center Pin Contacts" in the DC jack to tell the system what type and Wattage the Adapter is.

If the system does not know the type/wattage the battery may not charge and the CPU could be stuck at a much slower MHz???

You may want to think about replacing the DC jack???

https://www.parts-people.com/blog/2015/12/07/dell-inspiron-15-5558-dc-jack-removal-installation/

Best regards,

U2

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

May 25th, 2020 03:00

You won't without swapping parts - but start with the adapter first.  That may well be at fault.  If not, then change the DC jack.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 25th, 2020 05:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @wowamazingcool 

The "New" battery is it a Dell original or China knockoff???

If your laptop powers on and boots without an "Unknown" adapter warning then your DC jack should be OK.

Your AC adapter may be weak???

Do you have another AC adapter to use for testing???

A 90W adapter would be best.

Best regards,

U2

May 25th, 2020 07:00

It is not a dell brand battery, however it seems to be detected and accepted by the system. Whenever I boot up the computer I get a message that says the AC adapter wattage cannot be determined. I have tried using more AC adapters, but they all had the same result. I tried both Dell brand and off-brand AC adapters.

February 24th, 2021 09:00

Hello, I have this problem too on my Inspiron 15-5548. I have tested the adapter and I am happy it is working , they don't really go wrong. The battery is new and working normally according to the BIOS which is updated to A10

So - next up the DC Jack. I am prepared to replace this, but when I look down the Jack that is installed I see about 4 inner pins - presumably these are the ones that should be touching the centre pin in the plug. They could easily have been bent over the years and lost any springyness. However,  when I look at replacement Jacks - they don't seem to have the pins like this - they are either enclosed now, or my laptop uses a different jack altogether. 

Can anyone confirm before I start the tedious dismantling? I can send a picture if that helps?

February 24th, 2021 10:00

So is the replacement an improved version where the pins are more secure? It doesn't look like your first picture but it looks like my adapter will fit it.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

@Dubmuffin1 

Yup the plastic housing around the 4 pins snapped off.

Be very careful plugging in the adapter.

I shorted an Alienware with a DC jack that looked just like that!!!

Regards,

U2

Thanks  but that picture doesn't look like the jack on parts people either. This is what mine looks likePXL_20210224_172653496.jpgc6.jpg

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

Welcome to the Dell Community @Dubmuffin1 

You should not be able to see the "4 inner pins"

It should look like this.

PowerJack.PNG

Dell OEM Inspiron 15 (5545 / 5547 / 5548) DC Power Input Jack with Cable:

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=17337

Inspiron 15 5000 Series Service Manual:

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/inspiron-15-5548-laptop/ins15_5548_om/procedure?guid=guid-1fca1328-3f13-4acf-9d4a-5a0baaf6659b&lang=en-us

Best regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

February 24th, 2021 11:00

@Dubmuffin1 

I can't say if it is an improved version or not???

The ones for other models that I have purchased have just been the same.

Regards,

U2

March 3rd, 2021 11:00

I purchased a new DC jack and it was the correct one - the picture on the website is generic and didn't clearly show the configuration of the pins. I replaced it and sadly still have the charging issue. Having to replace a motherboard to fix the charging seems a bit excessive. The performance is reduced if I don't have a proper charger so what do I do now? What if the expensive second hand motherboard doesn't fix the problem, even if I can find one that matches mine? Ditching a perfectly good laptop just because of the charging issue seems a waste.

20 Posts

April 18th, 2021 19:00

Hello, I am in the Sam boat with you. But my problem is the Jack on the MB broke off when I attempted to chance out a defective dc supply cord. The Jack on the MB is missing and can’t find it so my brand new battery has not had a single volt, amp or watt applied to it since it’s install and now the battery is graveyard dead. I need the Jack part that fits on the MB but can’t find one anywhere. Good luck you like I hate to throw out a good high dollar laptop just because of charging problems.

regards

1 Message

August 15th, 2021 04:00

@wowamazingcool did your problem get solved??

3 Posts

May 10th, 2023 13:00

hi friend i need help , i have disassembled my dell alienware leptop and i see my dc jack like this , how do i confirm the pin and how do i open the black part of the pin cover..when I want to plug the AC charger jack into the leptop SC jack the green LED light on my adapter goes out and there is a plug like a short circuit then smells burnt. I conclude maybe this is damage to my DC jack. I have tried charging my adapter to a HP brand laptop and everything works fine charging normallyphoto_6260559139600184783_y.jpg

No Events found!