Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 20th, 2020 03:00

How to use only ac adapter and not battery?

Hey guys, I just got a new Inspiron 3593. The battery pack is in-built and can't be taken out.

To my understanding, having the ac adapter plugged in when the battery is at 100% quickly shortens the battery shelf life. 

Since I can't remove the battery, is there a way to have the ac adapter plugged in but not charge the battery?

What would be the best way to keep the battery life to its maximum?

Thank you for the time!

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

May 20th, 2020 04:00

This support page and accompanying videos should help. And this support page explains how to remove and replace the battery when it has worn out.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 20th, 2020 08:00

From this statement on the page JOcean linked it would appear it won't hurt the battery.

"Can a Dell Battery be "Overcharged"?
No, Dell laptops are designed to stop charging the battery when it reaches full charge. Once the battery is fully charged, the Dell laptop will continue to use power from the AC adapter."

Our family doctor has a Dell laptop in each examination room as she went "paperless" over 2 years ago.  The AC adapters are plugged in all the time and it (apparently) has not harmed the batteries.

May 26th, 2020 09:00

Thank you. That's helpful!

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 26th, 2020 10:00

@Inspiron3593  It's true that the laptop will not allow its battery to be overcharged.  However, keeping batteries topped up at 100% all the time also isn't ideal.  See the answer I provided in another thread, specifically in this post, for an option you can consider if you want to improve battery longevity, assuming your system allows this option and you're willing to deal with the potential inconvenience of not having a fully charged battery if you ever need to disconnect from AC unexpectedly.

No Events found!