Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 20th, 2018 09:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Include XPS thermal management system to G3/G5/G7 BIOS

Hi Dell,

Considering the amount of issues related to thermal management and fan control in the G-Series I would like to suggest you include in the next BIOS version the same thermal management system of XPS line and allow it to be controlled via Dell Power Manager the same way XPS line works (with Cool, Quiet, Balanced and High Performance profiles), this will save you a lot of headache and returns due to systems running too hot or too loud when it's just a matter of software management.

G-Series laptop may be entry-level gaming pcs but its users are very demanding when it comes to stability and controls, so it would make sense, I want to be able to let me g3 be really quiet during work time and when I want to game, I would like to be able to set it to high performance and system ramp up fans to keep thermals under control and excellent performance.

I believe other owners will agree with me.

Best regards. 

Ricardo

1 Message

December 23rd, 2018 15:00

There are several DELL G7 users that want this resource to theirs notebook... It would soulve a lot of complaints regarding thermal issues during gaming and normal usage.

It would make both types of customers happier, who wants the laptop quiet&hot or loud&cool.

I dont see why it is not the company interest to implement this resource to this product...

December 24th, 2018 08:00

The problem is turbo boost. The problem is solved by reducing the maximum processor state to 99% which basically turns off turbo boost. Which stinks because now my 4.1 boosted processor only caps at 2.1 now. So temps are down but so is my processor speed. I lose about 20 frames per second at 99% vs 100%.

I didn't buy a 2.1 GHz processor!

4 Posts

December 24th, 2018 09:00

That would be very useful, and also would be a kind think to do in order to compensate of the paint coming off the power buttom and keybords. Please DELL give us this update. Many thanks. JV

December 24th, 2018 14:00

Screenshot - 12_24_2018 , 5_17_24 PM 002.jpg

Do what you want with it. Its fairly stable for now. 

December 27th, 2018 05:00

You dont need to disable turbo boost, you can use a software like Throttlestop and reduce the turbo ratio, In my 8300H I have it running at 3.2 GHZ down from 3.9GHZ (full turbo), temps are rarely over 70 degrees celsius now, average 65 on the CPU. At 3.6 GHz temps go up till 75-76, still quite better than the 91 degrees with full turbo. For me it was quite a good solution. Playing Battlefield 1 and Star Wars Battlefront I've got the same fps running at 3.2 than I would at 3.9.

December 27th, 2018 05:00

The big problem that I've noticed is that fans are taking too long to kick in, they only go full throttle when the cpu is over 70-75 degrees and even so, sometimes they stay at 3900 RPM not goind all the way to 5200RPM (which I think is the max speed).

I had a lotta issues with the 7567 model, but the one thing they got it right was the fan speeds, at 60 degrees it would gradually start spinning keeping temps quite low all the time.

Another solution that I found was building a PVC laptop stand with 4 coolers, when browsing and watching vids temps are between 35-45.

January 2nd, 2019 15:00

Where's the solution? Almost one year and nothing...

Yeah, that's the problem. At this time thermal.pngI still getting thermal throtling issues. Look at the graphs. Still hitting 99 ºC/100ºC.

during_nvidia_driver_installation.png

It's not stable at all. Look at the installation of nvidia drivers. It's not a high end compute task. But still thermal throttling.

26 Posts

January 3rd, 2019 11:00

No solution even NO ANSWER at all !!  First time I bought a dell laptop and I regret that. Wish that I bought msi gp63, same price, same specs but no thermal problem, it also ships with fan control software installed on. We are begging to Dell for fan control through 3 months but no answer came up. What a waste.

January 3rd, 2019 14:00

I prefer to think that Dell has its way to listen its customers. And makes me think: is it the right way to report the problem? Maybe it is time to make posts in blogs, tweet this problem, publish on facebook, make a community of this problem. Is that you want to Dell? I think not. But it'll happen if you don't listen to us. We are good people that want to have some control over our own PC. That's it. Please, listen to us.

6 Posts

January 3rd, 2019 15:00

I think we should find a way to let them know about this issue, i bought this laptop and not the xps 15 because of the better thermal management so, what's happening, it's pretty ironic :/.

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2019 16:00

How can I do that?? My g7 is having fps drops everytime I play battlefield V, and this problem didn't happen before. My bios version is 1.6. Can you tell me how you set up throttlestop to do that?

15 Posts

January 4th, 2019 00:00

They would most certainly start to pay attention to you if you tweet or if you somehow get a "tech youtuber" to voice the issues.

11 Posts

January 4th, 2019 05:00

Does this issue apply to all G-series computer? I've commanded a G3 computer and if it's the case i'd like to know it so I can cancel my command.

Sorry for my uncorrect english.

No Events found!