Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

2 Posts

April 2nd, 2019 08:00

Inpiron 5548 Notably Warm Under Numpad

Hi, dell community! I just recently got my hands on a 15 inch Inspiron 5548. I love this computer to death, despite one thing--the slight warmth under the numpad.

I'm assuming that's where my hard drive is located. It gets noticeably warm near the numpad and a little bit hot while using SFM, Blender, or Minecraft and I'm a little bit concerned. It's out of warranty since it bought used from eBay. I don't experience any of the overheating symptoms such as extreme lag or random shutdowns, it's just noticeably warm while under a normal load (e.g. everyday Chrome browsing). The fans seem functional, and I'm going to try cleaning out the vent sometime later today and see if that changes it.

Is warmth near the numpad normal for this laptop, or should I get it looked at if home remedies don't solve the issue?

Thanks in advance!

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

April 2nd, 2019 13:00

You are correct about the hard drive location. Slight warmth is not a concern. It's when the heat gets to a level that is very hot and shuts down the system that you should be concerned. The system is getting to the 5 year old level though and possibly the hard drive is starting to show some age. Run diagnostics just to make sure the HDD is not having trouble. Restart the system and at the Dell splash screen start tapping F12. Run full diagnostics paying attention to the HDD results. Somewhere down the road if you need to replace the HDD consider an SSD as the performance is much better.

2 Posts

April 2nd, 2019 15:00

Just got done with the diagnostic--everything's fine. It may be the hard drive's old age, but I can't be sure because I got this laptop off of eBay.

I guess everything's fine then! I just kind of panicked because I've never owned a laptop that got noticeably warm near my hand. My previous laptops never got warm to the point I could notice, even under heavy loads. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

No Events found!