Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

March 7th, 2018 00:00

Inspiron 13-5378 - No Bootable Devices Found

Help please! My laptop was going through a Windows 10 update, yesterday on 3/6/18, when it stopped and powered down. When I rebooted, I got the following screen:

Product Name: Inspiron 13-5378

System Bios: 1.6.1

Service Tag:

ePSA: Build 4304.12 UEFI ROM

X No bootable device found.

I have tried to look through past posts on this forum to find a solution but the several I've read do not seem to work with my specific laptop, or I may have not been able to follow the instructions properly.

Please advise how I should proceed, thank you very much for your help.

Davvy

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

March 7th, 2018 04:00

Hi Davvy123,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

The error message you are receiving could indicate several things, from a possible hard drive failure to a motherboard failure or just a corrupted operating system.

First thing is to run a systems diagnostics by pressing F12 at startup or by running Dell Support Assist.

Make a note of any error messages and post back or contact Tech Support for further troubleshooting.  You can contact Tech Support at 1-800-624-9896  or 1-800-288-4410, or you can initiate a chat session http://dell.to/2v4snVm

3 Posts

March 7th, 2018 08:00

I ran diagnostics as instructed.

I received a "All Systems Passed" result.

Please advise what next step(s) I should take.

Thank you very much,

Davvy

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

March 12th, 2018 05:00

If you found no errors, and your hard drive is working properly, you may need to re-install your operating system.

This will cause data loss, so please back up your hard drive to other media before you start.

Reset or reinstall Windows 10 on your Dell computer

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

March 12th, 2018 07:00

I agree with Dell-Robert-P's suggestion above, unfortunately.  Going forward if you weren't already, you may want to consider periodically capturing image backups of your whole hard drive, which would allow you to easily roll back to the state of a hopefully recent backup if this ever happens again, rather than having to go through a lot of effort reinstalling Windows and all of your applications.  Macrium Reflect Free is a popular choice, which as the name suggests is free, although they also have a paid version that adds some features that may appeal to you if you perform frequent image backups.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 13th, 2018 08:00

:BigSmile:

Any updates Davvy123 ? The computer is up and running again? You were able to find the windows 10 ISO file to reinstalled widows 10? If no, you could try to download the Windows 10 ISO file through Dell’s website by following the steps in the link below:

Windows 10 Bootable USB Flashdrive (Official Dell Tech Support):

https://youtu.be/WwlY-os0KyA?list=PLdLDGmnHB07NVpbsbTGeiW-NLjpVZufxB

Or....

Create a windows 10 installation media from the Microsoft's website by following steps in link below. You'll need a blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space and another good working computer to download the media.

Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File) - microsoft.com

3 Posts

March 17th, 2018 23:00

Hello, thank you for the advice.

Before I re-install Windows 10, I wanted to find out if I could do a System Restore first. So I used a bootable USB drive and was able to get into a System Restore function. This in turn found a restore point that predated the latest Windows 10 update that created the problem. I went ahead and did the restore using that saved setting. The restore completed successfully, and I got a message saying that none of my personal files were changed.

However when I try to boot the Inspiron without the USB drive, I still couldn't get the machine to boot properly.

Below are photos of the screens of some of the steps I went through. The last 3 photos show the current status of my laptop. If there's any way I can change some of the settings there that will allow me to boot from the hard drive, that would be great. If nothing can done and I need to re-install Windows 10 from scratch, then I will try that next.

Thank  you again for all of your help!

Davvy

dell_03.jpgdell_04.jpgdell_05.jpgdell_06.jpgdell_07.jpgdell_08.jpgdell_09.jpg

1 Message

April 1st, 2020 18:00

I just upgraded my RAM and storage. when I rebooted the laptop, it went to support assist and said no bootable devices down. the only option was to shut down. help please

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

April 1st, 2020 20:00

Have you tried an F12 boot and then select your SSD to boot from, If this doesn't work you'll have to reinstall.

No Events found!