Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 4th, 2019 16:00

Inspiron 13 7000 2-in-1 (7373) 12v charging

Will you please advise if I can charge this laptop using a 12v DC charger instead of 240v AC? I live permanently in a truck-based motorhome with lithium house batteries and use the 500W inverter for 240v. This is not always practical (solar power is wonderful but erratic) and I would like to use one of my 12v chargers. Sadly, none of the adaptors fit the Dell and I cannot find one.

I did look at the Dell 90W Auto Air Adapter with 7.4mm to 4.5mm DC Power Dongle on the website but technical support advised that this is too powerful for my 45W laptop and might cause damage.

Where are our options?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

February 4th, 2019 18:00

@JanetofNQ wrote:

Will you please advise if I can charge this laptop using a 12v DC charger instead of 240v AC? I live permanently in a truck-based motorhome with lithium house batteries and use the 500W inverter for 240v. This is not always practical (solar power is wonderful but erratic) and I would like to use one of my 12v chargers. Sadly, none of the adaptors fit the Dell and I cannot find one.

I did look at the Dell 90W Auto Air Adapter with 7.4mm to 4.5mm DC Power Dongle on the website but technical support advised that this is too powerful for my 45W laptop and might cause damage.

Where are our options?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Buy the Dell 90W Auto Air adapter with the 7.4mm to 4.5mm DC power dongle. Ignore the fool who told you it would be "too powerful".  Completely wrong!

That item can output aka provide a maximum of 90W if needed. I have a 120 W AC adapter from an older laptop that broke powering other laptops that only need 90 W.

By the way, the same item can be purchased for $60 on eBay. Search on Dell 330-8105 .

The power dongle will run you $9 on eBay.

Save $$$.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

February 4th, 2019 18:00

2 Posts

February 4th, 2019 22:00

Thank you nyc10036, the nice tech support people in Malaysia did tell me they were taking their information straight from the website - not much use, really.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

February 5th, 2019 13:00

@JanetofNQ wrote:
Thank you nyc10036, the nice tech support people in Malaysia did tell me they were taking their information straight from the website - not much use, really.

Think of your situation as buying a BMW capable of going 100+ mph and driving it on USA highways with 65 mph speed limit.  :Smile:

No Events found!