Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

1 Message

July 2nd, 2020 05:00

Inspiron 15 3567, BIOS, driver updates, CPU fan not working

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3567 (purchased 1 year warranty expired on July 10, 2018). After doing a driver and BIOS upgrade, my CPU cooling fan has stopped working. I thought that it may be the fan that was faulty. I replaced the fan. I tried to downgrade drivers and BIOS. I was not able to downgrade the BIOS. The fan is still not working. Can someone please advise what I can do?

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

July 2nd, 2020 10:00

Run the Dell diagnostics, which will verify the operation of the fan independently of the operating system and driver.

F12 at power up.

Does the fan fail the diagnostics?

1 Message

September 15th, 2020 07:00

Hi, same problem here, with same product/Laptop.

I run the Diagnostic and everything seems to work fine.

But when a starts the Laptop for a normal season, the fan seems completely dead, even if the Laptop get heat

April 26th, 2021 13:00

well,I might have the same problem ..my fan is not like it's not working at all ..rather it works ..but it doesn't all he time . sometimes it spins ,sometimes it doesn't .the SPEED FAN software dose recognize the fan nor dose any other software ..its like there is no fan .but there is ,and works ,just not all the time ,,when i try to diagnostics it show fan's current,max and min speed ,,i also upgraded BIOS and drives to fix it ,,no luck..what should I do now ,,??? (at the time of starting the reply the fan was spinning ..but after posting it, I was it wasn't )

1 Message

January 3rd, 2022 01:00

I am facing same issue after updating BIOS

1 Message

January 13th, 2022 09:00

I experienced the same problem with my Inspiron 7000 series. A BIOS update (after warranty expiration) caused the CPU fan to stop working. Apparently, the BIOS controls the CPU fan. CPU temps would reach 200F and throttle back significantly. I found that lots of people have experienced the same problem. 

My solution: hwinfo.com.  It is free hardware diagnostic software, but I only use it to control the CPU fan. This is the only program I found that would control the fan. When windows loads first thing I do is load this program. Under Fan Control I set Custom Auto and set my desired values. Then click the black fan at the bottom left. CPU fan speed is shown and you can see it start working. This keeps my processor operating at normal temps. 

August 21st, 2022 05:00

I had the exact same issue with the exact same laptop where the fan stopped working under normal conditions and the processor clock won't reach anything past 0.48 GHz with horrible performance, but while testing through diagnostics (f12 while booting) the fan worked fine and passed the test, after investigating for several hours it turned out to be the non-geniune charger that i was using. Once i connected a geniune charger everything worked fine and the processor reached 3.48 GHz with excellent performance.

It is worth noting that the battery was charged at 4% (and stuck at 4% because of the non-geniune charger), which i think is one of the reasons why the processor was capped at 0.48 GHz, that with the non geniune adapter leaded to the bios not allowing enough power to the processor, thus no need for a fan to run.

TL;DR : check your battery and use a geniune adapter.

No Events found!