Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 19th, 2021 11:00

Inspiron 15 5000 Series (Intel(R)) - 5559 (1) - Add SSD

Dear All, 

I was using above notebook almost 4 Years, I was only to use on trip

a few few usage, I wish to add SSD on my notebook

but I did not know which type of SSD can be use...

I understand My notebook kind of out date......plus using Window 7

It was because my company system need to using IE 11 for working 

I cannot upgrade to window 10 or 11, plus still need to using IE

That why I still keep this...I wish to purchase below 

WD_BLACK 500GB SN750 NVMe Internal SSD Solid State Drive - Gen3 PCIe, -DS500G3X0C

Can it add it plus do I need the disk of window 7 when install ???

Many Thanks to all....

Alex

August 20th, 2021 12:00

Appreciatev for advise and Thank a lot

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

August 19th, 2021 11:00

You cannot use an NVMe drive in this system.  Neither will it take an M.2 SATA drive.

The only option is a single 2.5" SATA drive -- either hard drive or SSD.   At this point you really should not be using Windows 7 at all, unless it's for completely offline use - it has not had any security updates in a year and a half, and there have been major security flaws revealed with Windows 7 that will be forever unpatched.  Beyond that, you'll be finding more and more websites blocking access with Windows 7 as time goes on, so you will be upgrading one way or another if you must use the system online.  Windows 11 will never be an option, but the system will run Windows 10 just fine.

August 28th, 2021 11:00

Hi Alex,

Recently like you I also wanted to give new life to my same model laptop, so I installed a 2.5" SATA SSD (Samsung 860 EVO SATA III), in the HDD slot under. Further to prevent any data loss, I migrated the entire OS directory from the original HDD to the SSD via a SATA-USB adaptor before installation.

In addition to that, to not let my HDD go to waste, I removed the DVD drive completely and installed my (now slow) HDD into that slot for extra storage via the caddy method.

I completed all of it by myself, it is very simple to do and there are loads of youtube videos for helping you out.

No Events found!