Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

11 Posts

July 31st, 2019 09:00

Inspiron 15-5567, lid switch (reed or hall) location

Hi,

Seems that my Inspiron sometimes goes sleep if I move the notebook body from location A to B. Similar if some electronic not connected well on the mainboard.

Is anybody know where the electronic located in the main body? Is part of the touchpad or the usb board or the power button board?

I do not have the magnet with me today to test near the keyboard. It would be enough if somebody point it to the LCD bezel, then I can find it easier.

Prior thanks for your help.

Pal

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 31st, 2019 12:00

* Click my DELL-name and private message me the following information =
- service tag number
- Your shipping address, phone number, email address

Apologies, I honestly do not understand your question, "Is anybody know where the electronic located in the main body?". What is, "reed, hall" ? Perhaps if you read through the Service Manual, it will answer your questions?

By sleep, do you mean the LCD is going into PSM (power save mode) but the operating system is still running?

11 Posts

August 1st, 2019 01:00

Hi, exactly. Sometimes - depends on the chasis movement LCD goes off and Windows goes to Sleep.

I did a test to disable the Sleep mode in Energy options: now the LCD goes off and Windows stays alive.

This is strange, because there is a position where this happens. Seems that how I move the plastic case or stronger opening more the LCD panel. Sometimes is enough if I lift the left side of the PC, while the right is pressed with me hand. It remembers me like a typical contact issue with an electronic component or cable connector.

Service manual does not mentioning about LID switch or replacement part for this.

If you can share with me how the notebook recognises the LID closed position then I can figure out.

Prior thanks.

Pal

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 1st, 2019 03:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @PaliPali 

There could be 3 magnets around the LCD bezel.

Two to hold the lid down and one for the reed switch.

UPPER LEFT LID MAG.PNG

Upper left hand corner for holding down the lid when closed.

UPPER RIGHT MAG.PNG

Upper right hand corner for holding down the lid when closed.

Reed Mag.PNG

The magnet for the reed switch is located in the lower Left or Right hand corner.

I used a metal washer to find the location of the magnets for my model.

With the washer in the location of the the reed switch magnet you can judge where the reed switch is located around the keyboard.

NOTE: Other devices can trip the reed switch. Like an Apple watch???

You could also try a flex test:

While the laptop is booted and the screen is on:

Grab the display at the upper left and right corners.

Then pull one side forward and push the other side backwards about 1/2" to 1"

Repeat back and forth. "Flex Test"

If the screen goes out then you have a loose connection.

Best regards,

U2

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 1st, 2019 14:00

* Click my DELL-name and private message me the following information =
- service tag number
- Your shipping address, phone number, email address

11 Posts

August 3rd, 2019 05:00

Hi, magnet found correctly. Seems that the power button board has multiple function, like reed contact as well.

Thank you for your tips.

Regards,

Pal

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2019 05:00

Your very welcome @PaliPali 

I have also seen the reed switch on a USB board.

On the E6510 it is a seperate board about 1" x 1"

So the switch can hide anywhere.

Regards,

U2

1 Message

June 27th, 2023 06:00

Hello.

I have a Dell Inspiron 5567 from 2017 which is primarily kept stationary at home but used actively.

Since past few months, I have been facing similar problem.

As if with a mind of its own, the display as well as backlit feature of the keyboard turns off automatically.

However, the laptop/system remains on and keybaord & mouse keep functioning.

Many times the display & backlit funcitonality of keyboard comes back on its own instantly. Remaining times, I have to reposition the lid back & forth and/or close-open the lid to bring back the display.

I also have to many times tap / press near the hinges above the keyboard for the display to come back.

As far as I can remember, this issue cropped up after I once took & kept my my laptop in my car for work a few months back. Came back home, started the system and the issue was there.

Also since then, I have also noticed dust on the led on power button.

However, the power button is functioning normally and the laptop currently has no other issues.

Kindly help.

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

July 6th, 2024 21:41

hey is your problem solved?? If yes how?

bcz i have the same issue from a long time.

please help me if you can

(edited)

No Events found!