Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 22nd, 2020 10:00

Inspiron 15 5593 not using nvidia mx 230 graphics card

I've recently got a new inspiron 15 5593 a few months ago and it seems to be working fine but recently I've realised that when I'm running some applications or games my laptop still uses intel's integrated graphic card instead of the Nvdia mx 230 graphic card. I've tried cheking out the Nvidia control panel to set is as the default graphic card but when i run any games or programs and check the task manager, I've noticed that it barely uses the Mx 230 and still mainly use the intel's graphic card which makes me feel like my laptop is slower than it is supposed to be. Anyone having the same problem are there any simple fix to my problem?

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

May 22nd, 2020 10:00

Nothing is wrong.  Windows will always see the Intel GPU as active, as it's the only one that has a physical connection to the display screen.  All video data passes through the Intel GPU, even if it has been rendered by the nVidia GPU.  The nVidia GPU is simply a co-processor for the Intel GPU.  The system is entirely software-controlled.

On higher-line models, systems are designed with hardware-switchable GPUs - you can control which GPU does which jobs at the UEFI firmware level.  On low-end to mid-range models, no such option exists -- the system is hardwired to the Intel GPU and the nVidia GPU is called into use when the application supports it (and note that not all applications -- particularly older games and older version of games -- support Optimus technology).

1 Message

August 16th, 2020 20:00

Hello. This is a simple fix.

-Ensure in device manager that your drivers for "NVIDIA Geforce MX230" have no conflicts or issues.

-Hold and Press Window Key + S type "Nvidia Control Panel"

-Go to and select 3d Settings>Manage 3d Settings>Preferred Graphics Processor: "High-Performance Nvidia Processor"

You're welcome,

Rich

No Events found!