Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

6 Posts

May 22nd, 2019 11:00

Inspiron 15, connect mouse, automatically disable touchpad

Sometimes I use a mouse and sometimes I don't. There is no option anymore to disable the touchpad when a mouse is attached. It's very frustrating because your hands hit the touchpad when typing. Yes, I can disable the touchpad manually every time, but that is a pain. And if you forget you disabled it then go to use it without a mouse, you are .  There used to be an option for this. Can someone please help? 

Inspiron 15
Windows 10 1803

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 22nd, 2019 13:00

See if this works-- 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-touchpad-while-mouse-connected-windows-10

Method 1: Disable the touchpad in Settings
  1. Open the Start Menu.
  2. Click on Settings.
  3. Click on Devices.
  4. In the left pane of the window, click on Touchpad.
  5. In the right pane of the window, locate a toggle right under Touchpad, and turn this toggle Off.
  6. Close the Settings window.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

May 22nd, 2019 13:00

Which specific Inspiron 15? Click my name and private message me the Inspiron 15 service tag number.

Found this thread. Read through it. Installing the precision touchpad driver might bring the option back. I know it does not list Inspiron but see if it will install and let us know.

6 Posts

May 24th, 2019 05:00

Hi Chris, Thank for responding.  I dont know whether I should or should not be giving out my service code here, so I wont.  Having said that, isnt there another way to figure out what model I have, like on the box or on the computer or in the settings? 

I will try to install a new driver and see if that works. 

6 Posts

that would turn the touchpad off.  I want it on when I dont have a mouse attached.  Previous versions of Windows 10 had an option to tick to automatically turn the touchpad off is mouse attached.  This one does not. 

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

Agreed. Looks like Microsoft removed that ability in this version of Windows 10.

You can see from my signature that I work for Dell.

Click my name and private message me the Inspiron 15 service tag number so I can log the case with the tag.

6 Posts

I tried installing the driver. At first it said it installed and is ready to use, then a message popped up saying it did not install correctly.  Either way, I looked in the touchpad settings and the option was still missing. 

6 Posts

May 24th, 2019 07:00

I clicked on your name and not seeing how to message you. 

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

May 24th, 2019 07:00

After you click my DELL-name, look to the right =

Capture.JPG

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 24th, 2019 08:00

@DanG473 wrote:

Hi Chris, Thank for responding.  I dont know whether I should or should not be giving out my service code here, so I wont.  Having said that, isnt there another way to figure out what model I have, like on the box or on the computer or in the settings? 

I will try to install a new driver and see if that works. 

@DanG473  your full system model (e.g. Inspiron 15 5578 or whatever) isn't sensitive information, and it is useful to provide upfront whenever asking technical questions.  "Inspiron 15" just means an Inspiron with a 15" display, and there have been many of those over the years, and in fact there are multiple such models being sold right now.  "Inspiron 15" is a like saying you have a BMW 3 Series -- ok, but that's usually not specific enough when the answer to a question might vary based on the details of your particular model/generation.  Your Service Tag arguably is sensitive information, but that's why Chris above said to send him a private message (italics his) rather than posting it here.  Chris is a Dell rep, which you can tell because his username begins with "DELL-", fyi.

6 Posts

May 28th, 2019 10:00

I think I sent it. 

No Events found!