Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

2 Posts

June 5th, 2020 20:00

Inspiron 1545 BIOS A14 not working, file seems corrupted.

Hello there,   I have a Inspiron 1545, I am trying to download the latest BIOS update

I have downloaded the file from several systems,  from Linux to different windows version,   he MD5 information matches, but it cannot be ran, I have tried DOS, windows Vista, Windows 10, FreeDOS,  and the file keeps failing, I have tried also to run it with the parameter /writehdrfile  and /writeromfile and it fails.

From FreeDos I have been able to get more info on the errors,  when trying to run it it says

Error! BIOS file is the wrong size

expected 20005c,  got 17d,

From any windows I get the error

An unexpected error occurred while running the Flash application. Please reboot and try again.

If the error continues, please contact technical help.

Application Error Return: 0x00000504.

I have any OS that you would like to test, could you please check the file? seems corrupted.

Thank you!

June 8th, 2020 07:00

I've been running Windows 10 on my Inspiron 1545, and the BIOS update doesn't work for me either. The typical fix for this is apparently to go into regedit.exe and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DELLBIOS and erase the DELLBIOS folder and restart the computer, but on my system there is no DELLBIOS folder in that path. Did you also try this fix? Although it didn't work for me, perhaps it might work on your computer.

2 Posts

June 11th, 2020 11:00

Hi, thank for responding,

In my case is the actual file that dell has on the link I provided on my OP, seems corrupted. Looking around, I found this path to download it,

http://downloads.dell.com/bios/1545_A14.EXE and this particular file works without a problem,

one way to check if the bios .exe file is working fine, is to uncompressing it using this format:

from command prompt

1545_A14.EXE /writeromfile

or 1545_A14.EXE /writehdrfile

if the files is right and has no error, should uncompress the bios, if all ok, then use the .exe file to update the BIOS, it worked for me.

So this means that the link Dell has in the Drivers section of the Inspiron 1545 Bios file, is corrupted and not working.

IF someone from dell could take a look a this file and correct it? Thank you, hope this helps.

1 Message

June 29th, 2020 18:00

@Imetraud 

I can not thank you enough!

The file you linked to was the solution! Even if I still got the errors in both Windows, it worked on reboot.

Note to others, Do reboot after each try even if you get a Windows error, if you get a long delay with a blank screen on reboot it means the BIOS update is happening in the background, this applies to A13 and A14

DELL FOR GODS SAKE UPDATE YOUR WEBSITE, the a14 file that you link to is broken!

The file linked by @Imetraud  is 11642486 bytes

The file the dell autodetect suggests is 1169648 bytes

Dell Inspiron 1545 running Windows 10 64bit

FreeDos error expected 20005c,  got 17d

Windows Error Code 0x00000406

August 30th, 2020 10:00

I hope dell launches a final bios 1545_A15
with new functions like UEFI,
Overclocking of ram and processor, in addition to the cooler control etc ...I hope dell launches a final bios 1545_A15
with new functions like UEFI,
Overclocking of ram and processor, in addition to the cooler control etc ...

1 Message

October 12th, 2020 11:00

@hendybear ,
which version of Windows 10 do you have?

I have Inspiron 1545 with BIOS A14, running on Windows 10 version 15063 and new version 2004 is detected by Windows Update, but the process fails and then the upgrade is being rolled back.

Is it possible, by any mean to upgrade to Windows 10 version 2004?

Thanks in advance

March 8th, 2021 01:00

the like that u given not working 

293 Posts

April 14th, 2021 10:00

Updating your BIOS when system has no issues..........Google it  Can present many issues.  If the BIOS is an update for Security purposes, then do.   Long story short.  Nice to see there was a solution to work around.  You can also reverse to the previous BIOS.  

April 14th, 2021 10:00

Thanks for your help, and sorry for the late reply. Your solution turned out to be correct, the Dell BIOS is simply corrupted, and the version you sent me worked. I regret to inform you that just a few months ago, my Dell laptop, which also happened to have been my first laptop I had since I was like 8 or 9 died. Had some great times on that computer, played a lot of shovelware games that hardly worked with the specs, played FPS games on the mousepad for literal years because I was so used to it and never bothered getting a mouse (of course I wasn't very good like that), got a lot of computer viruses, and then shortly used my laptop to try and devtest a gameserver. You will be missed. ;(

RIP IN PEPPERONI MY DELL INSPIRON 1545 (2011-2021)

April 14th, 2021 11:00

I have one and I like it a lot, I have already changed memory, put on SSD, bought a good thermal paste, just need to update the processor and put the 8GB of RAM, I wanted Dell to do one last BIOS update for release the RAM and CPU overclock, in addition to the UEFI option

10 Posts

August 23rd, 2021 04:00

I think the problem you encountered with the broken download may be the same as I reported in this posting. Read that for an explanation of what I think the problem was.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 23rd, 2021 04:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @Donuts123 

The file was corrupt and removed.

If you look at the driver support page you would see A14 has been removed.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/inspiron-1545/drivers

Although you can still find copies of it floating around on the internet.

Best regards,

U2

1 Message

December 6th, 2021 18:00

So is that the end of the line? The file having been identified by Dell as corrupt and correctly removed. We just hang about with fingers crossed that Dell can replace the A14 (or later) update? In the meanwhile we cannot upgrade due to the A14 requirement on most CPUs ....... and this is the support section??

No Events found!