Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 24th, 2022 12:00

Inspiron 16 7610 Upgrading Wifi Issue

Hello all,

I am a little perplexed by this issue. The laptop shipped with a Intel AX201NGW card. I have the latest drivers from Intel and all is well until I decide to upgrade the Wifi card to the Intel AX1675i aka AX211NGW. On the device manager i see 2 issues;

1. The Bluetooth adapter shows a yellow ! with a code 29 error.

2. The AX1675i doesn't show in the device manager but I do get a "Other Devices," "Network Controller" there with a yellow !. For that it is showing code 28.

Now code 28 doesnt make sense because I attempted BOTH the Dell version of the Driver and Intel version of the driver. I know the bluetooth and wifi are embedded onto this chip so I understand that they do interconnect and both showing an error are likely related.

I have attempted the following:

1. Dell Drivers

2. Intel Drivers

3. Factory reset via Dell Recovery with no backup (OS Reset fresh like out of the box)

4. Factory reset with clean Windows reinstallation.

5. BIOS Update

6. BIOS Load Defaults

I cant for the life of me understand why this isn't taking. 201NGW and 211NGW are the same interface expect one allows the 6GHz spectrum to be seen.

Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks!

6 Posts

October 23rd, 2022 14:00

I can 100% confirm that the AX211 only works with Intel 12th gen processors (or perhaps 13th gen also, I don't know). I have tried an Intel branded AND Dell branded AX211 in my Inspiron 7610 with an 11th gen CPU and currently an AX201 with CNVio2 and it will not work. Do not waste your time trying. If you have an AX201 now with a 10th or 11th gen CPU the AX211 will NOT work in your system.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

I am attempting to replace an AX201 with an AX411 and seeing the same situation.  In my case I think I know why and it is related to the Hardware ID the card is showing.  I got mine online so perhaps you did also.  I have been discussing this with the seller but being stonewalled so far.  I have an AX211 coming hopefully the first week in July so I will know more then.  

One thing they say is to have the 22.140.0.x driver version or later.

I am getting messages that I have never seen before regarding the install of a Wi-Fi card so I have to believe something is happening, out of the ordinary.

YellowBang.jpg

• 

25.7K Posts

Hello, I see you are looking for technical assistance. If you need our help, you can follow @DellCares and start a direct message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

11 Posts

Ah! AX210 and 211 have different interfaces. Same goes for AX200 and AX201. What you should do first is find out the original card for the machine was and make sure you stick to that same interface. Now, the wildcard, black/white listing. 

Intel added to the confusion with the whole "Killer" series. They are simply a pretty name (and different naming style) otherwise for a AX201, AX211, AX411, etc. 

11 Posts

Humm. Yea, Ive attempted the latest Dell and Intel drivers.  I'm getting the exact same. I wonder if dell has blacklisted these 3rd party vendor cards somehow. About the hardware id. I have to double check that. That could play a role, BUT funny, the intel site CAN see the card, and the driver installs, BUT i end up back to where I started. I would bet you the 211 wont work for you either.

11 Posts

Ill reach out to them but im leery. I'm curious to see what the forum folks think.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

My situation is not on a Dell system.  I have installed several AX210 cards and they are not problem at all.  Like you, I don't understand why its 211 or 411 brother would present problems as they seem to be doing.

11 Posts

June 24th, 2022 13:00

Yea, this is looking like a whitelist issue. Support is referring to the manual and of course the manual makes no mention of the 211. BUT the 211 works on another Dell product I own and it also isnt mentioned in that manual. Either incompetence is in play or white/blacklisting with incompetence by dell tech seems to be in play.

11 Posts

June 24th, 2022 13:00

In my case the interface of the AX201 is M.2: CNVio2. I'm attempting to upgrade to Killer 1675i aka AX211NGW. They both use the same interface. Now the AX200, and AX210 uses PCIe. Intermixing a say AX211 card into a AX210 system would likely cause issues.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 28th, 2022 13:00

I am just starting to understand how this stuff is working.  I already knew the CNVio cards depended on chipset components to work.  Keeping that in mind, by checking some of the Chipset diagrams, you can see if the chipset is Wi-Fi 6e compatible.  If it isn't the card may not work but my AX211 is not yet here for me to check.  Do you know what chipset the 7610 uses?

Some systems may have their systems wired to run both PCIe and CNVio versions of the Wi-Fi card.  Since PCIe cards are self-contained, if they will work in such a system, they will be able to use Wi-Fi 6e without regard to the Chipset capability. 

I noticed the Z690 chipsets were Wi-Fi 6e/7 capable.  Since I had not heard about Wi-Fi 7 I went to check.

This is an Intel site and should be safe.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/wireless/wi-fi-7.html 

3 Posts

October 14th, 2022 20:00

Wow. the 2700 intel drivers are out and still no explanation from dell except for a link directing me to the OG specifications of my Inspiron 5502. I have tried everything imaginable and when they started stonewalling me, I began getting trade-in offers. But I just bought this laptop last year and expected to be able to upgrade it at least to 6e! It originally came with a 9560 NGW R, which I easily upgraded to Ax201 and when I went to drop in the AX211, wheather I do it manually or with the installer (as admin), it will either 'install with no problems', but not change anything or it will throw me the System Admin error, which is hilarious, as it's mine and only my computer.

6 Posts

October 20th, 2022 08:00

From what I have found, it appears that the AX211 will only work with 12th gen Intel processors, not 10th or 11th gen, even if the slot in the motherboard supports CNVio2.

I purchased a generic Intel branded AX211 the first time I tried it in my 7610. I just ordered a Dell branded AX211 to try. That will confirm if I am right about it only supporting 12 gen Intel processors or not.

11 Posts

October 21st, 2022 21:00

This is the best and logical responce yet. I wasn't able to confirm this, but seems the most logical. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 24th, 2022 06:00

It might be more appropriate to say the 6e only works with some chipsets, like the one that comes with the 12th gen processors, Z690 for Desktops because it is a CNVio card and that chipset shows Wi-Fi 6e capability.

If you know your mobile chipset designation, then you can check the specs on that system or look at the chipset diagram to see if it is mentioned.

And, make sure you are checking the Intel Killer site for drivers.  They may all be the same as far versions but there are (x/w) and (i/s) versions.  The i/s is the CNVio version.

11 Posts

October 25th, 2022 18:00

I don't totally disagree with this assessment however, my AX210 card worked on my 8th or 9th gen Intel Chipset without issue. When I put that into this computer, it saw the card but not 6e. But here is where it gets dicey and now im wondering if i had the latest Intel drivers. 6e didn't work on Windows with that card, but worked without a hitch with Ubuntu. Now that made me curious. 

No Events found!