Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

3 Posts

October 9th, 2022 04:00

Inspiron 16 7620 2-in-1, Touchpad issues

I have had a truly nightmarish experience with the Dell Inspiron and Dell in general. An erratic touchpad that has been extremely infuriating. I have finally been approved for a full refund (fingers crossed). They issued me a brand new replacement after trying every BIOS update and diagnostic test without any luck. The brand new device presented with the exact same issues after hardly a day of basic MS OFFICE use. 

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

October 11th, 2023 23:07

(11/10/2023)

Just recently purchased an Inspiron 16 7620 2-in1 laptop from Dell UK and I too am having issues with the touch pad. 

It's jittery and sketchy and totally unusable! 

On Support Assist I've downloaded the latest drivers and downloads which apparently sorted out the firmware in BIOS. 

This seemed to fix then issue for about 10 minutes but then the problem comes back. 

So I went into Device Manager and disabled the touch screen to see if the touch screen was causing interference with the touch pad as both are turned on. 

I then shut down and restarted the laptop but the touch pad is still having issues so I enabled the touch screen again.

I shall be calling Dell UK in the morning on how to move forward.  

EDIT (12/10/2023)

DELL are sending out a technician to replace the touchpad. Laptop is under warranty so will see if it solves the issue. 

EDIT (13/10/2023)

Technician has replaced the touchpad and it is now functioning correctly.  Fingers crossed...

(edited)

• 

25.2K Posts

October 9th, 2022 04:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

October 11th, 2022 17:00

Hi AMX Man,

I am very sorry to hear that. It seems you and I have had the exact same experience. I only stuck to Dell because I had used their devices previously for years without any problems. 

I only purchased the machine in about June 2022. The problem on the first device started within a day. Dell replaced it with a brand new device in about September, and again the same problem started within a day. A really infuriating experience.

I have just received my examiners' thesis feedback today and am absolutely dreading to have to make the minor adjustments on Word because the touchpad is already behaving erratically. 

I just hope I get my refund soon so I can order a device from a different brand. I have refused to return the two devices I have until I receive a full refund because unfortunately I have lost all faith in this company. 

I wish you the best of luck, but your comments make me almost certain now that it is a manufacturing defect for this particular model.  

3 Posts

October 11th, 2022 17:00

How long have you owned your machine?  I am getting my second replacement of the touch pad tomorrow and it is only 6 months old.  This is so disappointing.

I have an old Dell that went down the stairs, is windows 7 and still works.  It is slow, but it works.  Never an issue.  It is why I went with Dell for this new machine.

October 12th, 2022 18:00

I have the same issue. what should I do??

1 Message

November 2nd, 2022 07:00

I have similar touchpad issue. I have purchased the product in June 2022 and problem started after 2 weeks. I have tried all the BOIS and driver updates but no luck. I have raised a service ticket for replacement of the touchpad. Hope this will resolve issue.

By the way same issue is there for my friend too. He too purchased the product in July 2022 and the problem for him started after a week use.

Hope Dell takes action and resolve this issue permanently.

November 2nd, 2022 08:00

Hi Ram,

Very sorry to hear you've had the same issues. Unfortunately I was provided with a brand new replacement and after two days it presented with the exact same touchpad issue. I wish you good luck but I doubt the replacement will solve the problem. I have a strong feeling it's a manufacturing defect so even a replacement won't help.

I'm just glad that after everything Dell refunded my money back.

All the best. 

2 Posts

November 2nd, 2022 10:00

I am also facing the same problem. I have purchased the product in July 2022 and from day 1 I have started facing issues with touchpad. Even after updating the drivers the issue wasn't fix. I have raised a service request and the Dell guy will come to replace the touchpad. 

Hope this issue will resolve after that.

2 Posts

November 2nd, 2022 10:00

Hi,

What steps did you take to get refund.

1 Message

November 13th, 2022 15:00

Same story here. The track pad works for varying amounts of time, then becomes unresponsive, over sensitive, both, or nothing at all. My laptop is now a desktop due to needing to use an external mouse. Extremely disappointing as I've had good luck with Dells in the past.

December 8th, 2022 08:00

The touch pad mouse is impossible to use.  I am mostly using finger touch on the screen.  I have had to go back to my old Dell laptop which has battery issues and bios inssues but as long as it is plugged in it still gets the job done.  I have tried all the fixes for the touch mouse pointer.  For awhile it will work but then stops completely.  It particularly doesn't like any kind of graphic i.e. working on website, on-line games, image cropping and editing using Paint.  It is a real disappointment and I should try to take it back but know that will probably be a big headache too so have been putting it off and trying to get it to work.

December 15th, 2022 15:00

Problem: I have had the same issue and my laptop's less than two months old. I have raised the issue but no response so far from Dell.

Potential temporary workaround: However, I've just tried disabling and reenabling the trackpad from the settings, and this appears to restore normal mouse behaviour. This seems to be the only way of making the system usable apart from restarting it to restore normal trackpad performance.  

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

July 27th, 2023 13:00

If anyone is having trouble with the touchpad on their 7620, please use Get Help Now to contact our support team. There should be an updated firmware that can be offered. 

Use Get Help Now by clicking the image that looks like this (but is located on the lower right of the screen): 

DellBradL_0-1690487763256.png

August 21st, 2023 23:25

@Dell-BradL​ warranty just ended and this problem just started.  How does one get the firmware that fixes schizo-touchpad behavior?  I have latest bios firmware 1.13 and problem is still here.

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

September 5th, 2023 01:46

@dudetherugtiedeverything​ doesnt fix it - mines had the touch pad replaced ad I updated that firmware last week, problem just came back now.

No Events found!