Start a Conversation

Unsolved

V

7 Posts

February 14th, 2019 02:00

Inspiron 17 7000 - Headset not an option?

Hi!

I updated the audio drivers and now when I plug in my headset I can only choose headphones or speakers from the pop-up. Also when I check recording devices it seems to think there is a separate microphone jack? But there is only jack, for headset.

Any idea how it can find the headset microphone again?

9.4K Posts

February 14th, 2019 05:00

Hi vildpear,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Have you run a systems diagnostics yet?  If not, please run Dell Support Assist, make a note of any error messages encountered and post back.

If there are none, then try uninstalling the audio drivers from the Device Manager, then shut down your computer and reboot, letting the native Microsoft drivers install.

Here is some information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

Troubleshooting headphone/microphone jack issues on Dell systems

How to Troubleshoot Audio or Sound Playback Issues

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

7 Posts

February 15th, 2019 03:00

Thank you!

I have tried everything but it still seems to believe there is an extra microphone jack, which disables me from making any microphone tests since it's not plugged in...

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 15th, 2019 04:00

When you plug in a headset with a Waves enabled system, the popup should allow you to choose Headphones or headset and size of headset.  Making that choice should allow for the Microphone on the headset to become available.

I have seen systems where you need to go into the Win 10 Settings-System-Sound interface and select the correct microphone.  If you go there you should only see the build-in microphone and the Headset Microphone.  Are you seeing something different?

Are you running a headset with the one audio plug or some type of adapter on a two plug headset?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 15th, 2019 05:00

The attachment below, if you can see it, shows the options I have which seem to be the same as yours.

When I say go into the Win 10 sound options, you should show "Microphone (Realtek Audio)" or something similar.  You can test your Microphone but if you have disabled it, you might want to undo that action.

And just in case, the sound settings are in Settings-System-Sound near the middle of the page.  I am not referring to the Sound Control Panel you can get to with the link.  I like to verify the microphone by moving my finger over the built-in one to see if it is active in the microphone test.

Headset.jpg

7 Posts

February 15th, 2019 05:00

The options are:
Headphones
Speakers
Dell speakers(not sure if translation is correct, using swedish on my laptop.)

When I go to sound interface it just says that no microphone is detected and I can't choose anything.

And in recording devices there is only microphone which I deactivated since it doesn't exist, and stereo mix which I don't think actually is a microphone but just what sounds are coming from my laptop.

I am using a headset with one plug with three stripes.

The problem is that the headset option used to be in the pop-up menu but no longer is since I updated.

7 Posts

February 19th, 2019 00:00

Skärmklipp.PNG1.PNG2.PNG

This is what is looks like for me. As you can see, headset is no longer an option. Also it seems to think I have a microphone jack. So of course the microphone is not plugged in, since there is nothing to plug in to. I only have one jack.

7 Posts

February 24th, 2019 08:00

Bump! I still need help with this.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 24th, 2019 19:00

In your previous attachment (sound control panel), you are showing the Input tab and the Microphone shows as disconnected (down red arrow).

If you look at the Playback tab, does your headphone or internal speakers show at all and if so are they disconnected or disabled?

Do you normal internal speakers and built-in microphone work normally?  On my system, currently the internal Microphone shows as disabled (down black arrow) because I have it disabled.  Yours shows as disconnected, so does it show the same thing if you do not have a headset plugged in?

7 Posts

February 25th, 2019 12:00

Yes, my headphones and speakers show and work like normal. It shows the same thing when I don't have my headset plugged in.

7 Posts

April 10th, 2019 01:00

Also, there is no built-in microphone.
No Events found!