Start a Conversation

Unsolved

MC

2 Posts

September 13th, 2019 09:00

Inspiron 3157 2-in-1 doesn't restart to finish the newest bios update

I have tried to run the bios update from support assist and from the downloaded file from the dell support site and it doesn't restart after the call to reboot to finish the bios update. When i push the power button, it starts up into bios upgrade mode but never does the bios upgrade. any way to boot into the bios to do it? it is an older ami bios not the newer bios interfaces where you can update from the bios.

It has been upgraded to a sata ssd and windows 10 reinstalled from a usb stick.

Anyone have any insight?

TIA

Michael plotsker

September 13th, 2019 13:00

Hi @MPlotsker-Cahe 

Try downloading this driver after disabling ssd

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=7m2jm 

Be sure to follow all instructions 

If you could give me some feedback that would be great thanks!

September 16th, 2019 06:00

What do you mean by disable the ssd?

thanks

Michael

September 16th, 2019 11:00

Hi @MPlotsker-Cahe 

Actually first try running it in safe mode.

how to: 

1) On your keyboard, hold down the Shift key.

2) While holding down the Shift key, on the login screen (you may call it sign in screen), at the bottom right of the corner, click the power button then select Restart. Then Windows will bring up the Windows RE (Recovery environment) screen.

3) On the Windows RE (Recovery environment) screen, click Troubleshoot 

4) On the Troubleshoot screen, click Advanced options

5) Click Startup Settings

6) Click Restart. The computer restarts and another screen opens showing a lot of different startup options.

7) On your keyboard, press the 4 number key to enter Safe Mode without network. (If you need to do some online research after booting into the safe mode, press the 5 number key to enter Safe Mode with network access.)

After doing that try updating BIO

No Events found!