Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

2 Intern

• 

134 Posts

March 6th, 2019 06:00

Inspiron 3437, HDD failure after 4 months?

Hey

I can't believe it, my brand new hard disk is already failing. Got bluescreen "Storage exception" and when rebooting it didn't find the hard disk

hard disk1.jpg

Then I restarted in order to run a test, but it fully booted.

Then run Dell diagnostic:

hard disk2.jpg

I can't believe it's already dead. I invested like crazy in this computer, just received a new battery, and a new RAM too.

It often froze when I accessed file manager, like upload a file.

Is their any repair tool available? It can't be that I have to replace the HDD every few months. And I would need to find a new tech guy, which is not easy here. In order to keep my windows license.

This is all super complicated.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

March 6th, 2019 18:00

With some laptops, you have to almost disassemble the entire laptop to get to the CMOS battery.

I am too lazy to look for the service manual for the Inspiron 3437. You'll need to do that.

I mostly buy Latitudes.

May I suggest that you do what is easiest first.

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

March 6th, 2019 19:00

Yes the service manual will show you exactly where and how to change that BIOS Battery.

2 Intern

• 

134 Posts

Yeah, I saw how to do that. (change the cmos battery)

And this I why I didn't do it. Must be kind of joke.

You need to quit every single piece of the laptop. 

I am not able to. At least, chances are it will never work again. I might lose pieces. I already lost some screws. 

No, really, that's not for normal people. 

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

Yes, you either do it yourself or pay someone else to do it. True enough sometimes it cheaper to have someone else do the work. Seriously though I didn't think anyone sold notebooks without at least a 1-year warranty other than Refurbs. I've been working with notebooks long enough that I buy the 3 year warranty. I expect a notebook to last me for 3 years. I've only had a couple that didn't have some issue usually in the 2nd or 3rd year. my G75 went to repair twice in the first year, then well my sister is still using it 2012 model

2 Intern

• 

134 Posts

March 6th, 2019 20:00

I am living in the country, no tec company around here.

And the guy I paid for inserting the new disk and update windows, took very expensive, and brought the laptop back in a really bad state. It never had the beeping before, whether the 2 beeps when I got it back, that indicated a memory issue, nor the 5 beeps I had after that, and that indicates a CMOS Battery failure. And only one of the 2 RAM unites are recognized now.

I could have done that myself (change the HDD), but I have a very bad internet connection, so, download the 5 G windows 1809 patch was almost impossible for me. 

Disassembling the whole computer is a different story... I started to quit all the screws, but wasn't able to remove anything else lol

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

March 7th, 2019 16:00

@Chrisadell wrote:

I am living in the country, no tec company around here.

And the guy I paid for inserting the new disk and update windows, took very expensive, and brought the laptop back in a really bad state. It never had the beeping before, whether the 2 beeps when I got it back, that indicated a memory issue, nor the 5 beeps I had after that, and that indicates a CMOS Battery failure. And only one of the 2 RAM unites are recognized now.

I could have done that myself (change the HDD), but I have a very bad internet connection, so, download the 5 G windows 1809 patch was almost impossible for me. 

Disassembling the whole computer is a different story... I started to quit all the screws, but wasn't able to remove anything else lol

Sounds like your "tech" guy botched up the job.

As I wrote before, do what is easiest. And if that doesn't fix it, call it a day.

You could do the disassembly as learning exercise with the understanding you could totally hose up your laptop. I have hosed up the hard drive connection on a laptop before. 

No Events found!