Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

7 Posts

September 5th, 2018 13:00

Inspiron 3558, lags while charging

My Inspiron 3558 laptop lags while charging. I have original OEM adapter. I have tried safe mode, power options nothing works. I have an i5 2.20GHz. When unplugged, the clock speed goes to 2.2GHz. But while charging the clock speed is locked to 500MHz?

9.4K Posts

September 6th, 2018 08:00

Hi Jaycompo,

Thanks for posting. Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Have you tried any of the methods shown in this post from the Forum?

If you need additional assistance, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information and your computer's service tag number. Thanks.

7 Posts

September 9th, 2018 22:00

Robert there's no solution until you give me a modified bios. it's a throttling issue, the laptop runs fine on battery so just tell me where can I get good bios that won't throttle my cpu or gpu.

73 Posts

September 9th, 2018 23:00

ahhh, found what you are talking about with Bios.

You cant disable Intel Speedstep.

Try another charger and I bet it works.

73 Posts

Download Core Temp and report what CPU temp is while plugged in and throttling. 

73 Posts

Go into Windows Power Management and verify it is set for maximum cpu performance when plugged in.

Same with the graphics card setting you find there.

Get back to us. 

73 Posts

Googling it I am finding many found it was a bad Dell charger ...

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3215066/slow-cpu-speed-plugged.html

7 Posts

September 10th, 2018 00:00

I have disabled speedstep, turbo boost and c states too from the bios but problem still persist

7 Posts

September 10th, 2018 00:00

I have set power options to maximum and same with the graphics card, it's not windows problem coz I have reinstalled windows , it's probably that a sensor has gone bad and sending false bdprochot signals and cpu is underclocking while charging

9.4K Posts

September 10th, 2018 04:00

If you need additional assistance, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information and your computer's service tag number. Thanks.

73 Posts

September 10th, 2018 09:00

Look at the plug from the charger that goes to laptop. That tiny center pin if bent or broken, the PC will think its an unknown charger and lower cpu. Something with the charger is out of Spec.

The internet is flooded with stories about this very same issue. All were the charger.

7 Posts

September 11th, 2018 06:00

no i have changed the adapter still the problem persist

on battery pic1

on charging pic2 (stuck at 500mhz)

dc.PNG
AC.PNG

7 Posts

September 11th, 2018 06:00

on battery pic1

on charging pic2 (stuck at 500mhz)AC.PNGdc.PNG

7 Posts

September 11th, 2018 07:00

acc.PNGcore parking 

on charging

1 cores parked

2 unparked

accc.PNG

May 11th, 2021 07:00

Hi, my name is Vishnu Gopan G M, these settings can help you with this problem. you can use these settings at your own risks

Step 1:
Go to the Power option, Edit Power plan then click to open it.

Step 2:
Click on Change Advanced Power Settings

Step 3:
Expand Processor Power Management and then expand Maximum processor state

Step 4:
Change the Plugged In to 100%

Step 5:
Expand Multimedia Settings and then expand When playing Video

Step 8:
Then under Plugged In select Balanced

Step 9:
Click Apply and then click OK

Step 10:
Restart PC and verify

Here I provide a registry key link for these settings, you can enable or disable these settings by downloading the file (Use this when not on your PC or laptop)

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/jl6jh3dtvgfw8/Vishnu_Gopan_G_M 

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

May 11th, 2021 10:00

Your post doesn't indicate if you've been able to perform a systems diagnostics yet. Please run Dell SupportAssist or press F12 at startup, make a note of any error messages found and post back.

No Events found!