Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

2 Posts

October 28th, 2018 08:00

Inspiron 5379 weird fan noise

Hi all,

Since a week or 2, during a normal usage of my laptop and the fan turns on, at a low speed it makes a weird noise, it seems that the fan itself is loose and the fan blades are hitting somewhere making a quite annoying loud buzz.

The laptop never fell or hit anywhere, it suddenly started doing that and I was thinking to take it to the support as I just bought it 4 months ago.

I've noticed that if I lean the whole laptop backward the buzz become louder and after a second returns buzzing as before and it seems that the fan got loose.

Now I'm a bit concerned as I need to use it for work but I don't want this to cause damages inside or causing the total fan failure.

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

October 28th, 2018 10:00

I have the same laptop, I think the fan noise is normal. It eventually goes away. How's your battery life btw?

October 30th, 2018 15:00

The battery life is ok, not remarkable but fair after all..

The fan however makes a pretty worrying noise, it's not king of a hiss as when is running at high temperatures (70+ C). When it starts running at around 50-55C it makes this pretty annoying noise like a continuous "...prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" (don't know how to give exactly the idea). In addition to being annoying and worrying as it sounds as it shouldn't is disturbing while watching something, it's quite loud and you can hear it properly in background.

If I gently shake the laptop on the desk it seems that the alignment changes as it got loose.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

October 30th, 2018 17:00

If moving the laptop around changes the volume of the noise, I might think about opening the laptop up and have a look. The fan may have bad bushings (not sure if they are ball bearing fans). Best to have a look see before the fan fails completely.

11 Posts

October 31st, 2018 00:00

If you put your ear close to the laptop’s keyboard, does the noise resemble this sound?

https://soundcloud.com/user-209909669/inspiron-7577-noise

Also, are you running the latest version of BIOS?

1 Message

November 20th, 2019 16:00

I have two of these laptops which have the problem. One much more than the other. Sounds like carboard in the spokes of a wheel. Dell has replaced both.

The poor cooling resulting from the fan issue has affected the battery life. During testing it was found that the battery charging capacity is down to as low as 50% after 18 months. Looks like I won't be getting the reasonable 3 years out of the batteries.

Waiting on Dell to accept responsibility and change the batteries. 

1 Message

March 17th, 2020 20:00

Yes, I also have the same exact problem. Tilting the laptop changes it for a bit but again continues to produce the same weird noise. I opened the laptop and checked the fan, there was no hinderance or blades touching the sides. I guess, the problem was in the fan motor. Now, I am thinking of ordering another fan online and replacing it myself. I don't know if it will work or not.

March 21st, 2020 04:00

Did you find a solution for the fan noise? Because I am encountering the same problem. 

1 Message

July 27th, 2021 11:00

Did you find a solution for the noise?

No Events found!