Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 21st, 2018 20:00

Inspiron 5447 won't boot, beeping sounds

When I tried to wake up my laptop from hibernation, the screen turned on but was completely black for a while, so I forced it to shutdown by holding the power button. However after that the laptop refuses to boot. The screen does not turn on, and the laptop keeps beeping (a series of 7 consecutive beeps each time). I know for sure that the laptop is getting power as the CPU fan is turning. I've tried removing and reattaching the battery but it didn't help. Can anyone help me?

My laptop is a 4-year-old Inspiron 5447, so I do not have a warranty anymore.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

August 22nd, 2018 04:00

Seven beeps is a CPU or mainboard failure (on this model, the CPU is soldered to the board, so both need replacement as a single unit).

August 22nd, 2018 09:00

Thanks for the help! I'm also wondering how much would it cost/how long it would take to replace the motherboard? Since my laptop is old anyways, would it be better to just buy a new one and extract the data I need from the hard drive?

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

August 23rd, 2018 12:00

The cost will depend on the CPU and GPU you have -- on the low side, $150 or so plus labor (another $100 or so), and on the higher (i7/discrete video, $250-300 plus the same labor charge).

No Events found!