Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 26th, 2019 20:00

Inspiron 5485 SSD performance drops on battery

Brand new Inspiron 5485 Ryzen 3500u/8/256

SSD in question is Toshiba's KBG30ZMS256G

On the initial power-on (after unboxing) battery was empty, so I hocked up a charger. Obviously first boot takes some time and needs additional user input. After that I rebooted laptop few times and everything seemed to be OK. I left it charging. After fully charged I disconnected the charger and wanted to use it in a mobile manner in which the device like laptop is obviously could be used. And right away I've noticed that it takes too long for a laptop to boot. I tried few more boot-ups and it was slow. Interaction with the system also felt slower. So I ran the SSD performance test and it returned very low rates as for the NVME SSD (440 r/260 w). I then connected the charger and performance of the SSD was back to the expected level (1550/860). I tired another few times. Result is the same - on a battery performance drops to sata level, but as soon as the charger is connected - immediately jumps to normal.

Ok, any laptop tends to be slower on the battery power, but not 70% performance drop. And only SSD is affected. CPU speed and clocks decreased just slightly.

Contacted DELL support - tried updating windows, bios, firmware of an ssd, running diagnostic utility, different power plans, power slider to the max, even clean windows install - NO IMPROVEMENTS.

Even though I have demonstrated the tests to the remote support and they acknowledged the drop in ssd performance, I was told that they can't do anything about this as they don't see a problem becouse DELL diagnostic utility didn't show any issues.

Same happened when I called the number that the support provided. The only difference was they offered me to buy an extended warranty for $260 because only then they can deal with software issues. It's a brand new machine with an NVME SSD which performs like cheap SATA SSD out of the box, so why should I pay anything - nonsense.

Does anyone have any advice regarding either SSD issue or how to deal with DELL?

THX.

8 Posts

April 15th, 2020 13:00

Update - issues solved. 

To summarize the issues I encountered:

- NVME SSD becomes very slow (440 Mbps seq. read)  while on battery. OK on a charger (1560 Mbps sea. read)

- Very often charger could not be recognized thus the laptop refused to charge. It could last for a few hours or for a few days.

- The moments the charger issue appeared, the CPU speed stuck at 0.4 GHz (1.7 - 2.4 idle when no issues) and it could remain like that even after the charger was recognized again.

Eventually, DELL took my laptop for service and resolved all the issues.

It is 3 months already since it was serviced and the laptop works fine.

5 Posts

October 27th, 2019 02:00

go to the bios

in the bios check if you have ssd performance option

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

October 27th, 2019 03:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @ALX_SF 

Make sure your SSD firmware is up to date.

Toshiba KBG30ZMS128G, KBG30ZMS256G and KBG30ZMS512G Solid-State Drive Firmware Update:

Best regards,

U2

8 Posts

October 27th, 2019 05:00

Thank you. 

It was the first thing I did - check the bios settings. Nothing is there relating to SSD except interface mode (AHCI).

I even tried to "play" with the power options and some other things. No change. 

8 Posts

October 27th, 2019 05:00

I have updated BIOS, windows. Then remote support connected to my laptop and they did SSD firmware update - still no change.

8 Posts

October 27th, 2019 07:00

thanks. Downloading.

UP: This utility doesn't support OEM devices. I guess this is just for a consumer Toshiba/OCZ products

UP2:  Can't see anything abnormal in an windows event viewer. Just a power kernel change status as charger is plugged-in. Should I look for something specific? 

5 Posts

October 27th, 2019 07:00

try this utility:

https://ssd.toshiba-memory.com/en-amer/download/ssd-utility

see if there any info/option that helps

another way is to look in event viewer in windows 10 (just type event in the search)

unplug laptop from power and the plug again and see if there are event

8 Posts

October 27th, 2019 12:00

UP3: Found a specific HDD test in DELL Support Assist utility. Ran the Long Test with Performance tab of the Windows task manager alongside. Performance reported by Windows Task Manager: 196 read on battery; 560 on the charger; Support Assist reports everything is OK.

So, basically,  even using DELL's own app with the windows' build-in system monitoring (and without any third party applications) the difference is obvious.

8 Posts

November 5th, 2019 09:00

Dear DELL!
No resolution was offered nor explanation was provided by DELL concerning my issue.

Are You (DELL) leaving your customer up to themselves with the issue which occurred with You product?

Why the only advice You (DELL) provided, was to BUY a higher level service plan for a brand new product which should be functioning properly in the first place? (what, I strongly believe, won't change anything, as the issue seems to be related to the Toshibas KBG30ZMS SSD drive or to the DELLs internal power design)

Why won't You (DELL) get the same model and test it for Yourself?

If You (DELL) still persist on the theory that it (laptop in question) is functioning as intended by DELL (which may be a vague statement), then just provide a clear response in relevance to the issue, stating that DELL confirms that SSD performance drop-downs and misleading customer over the specs, considered by DELL to be absolutely NORMAL and no further actions will be made.

*(by "misleading customer over the specs" is meant that while the specs state SSD to be an NVME drive, when using on battery power (which is the main use scenario for the mobile device like 14 inch laptop) it DOES NOT perform like an NVME drive should).

I clearly understand that there's no "perfect" product for everybody, but such issues should be at least responded and explained.  At the best - subsequently resolved.

Basically, I feel like I've been dumbed by DELL who doesn't care about its customers and its own products after they've been sold.

UP: Another minor issue that I noticed, is that closing the lid or pressing the power button puts the laptop into sleep. That's OK and is predefined by DELLs power plan. When you open the lid right afterward or in a short period, the laptop wakes-up from the sleep, which is all good. But if you leave it in the sleep mode for too long (e.g. over the night) opening the lid doesn't wakes the laptop, pressing the power button results in booting up process(seems like from hiber status) and then I find all windows, which were left open before the "sleep", to be closed and being reopened with recovered copies. I've never experienced such behavior on App..e or Hew....t-P....rd products.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

November 5th, 2019 10:00

@ALX_SF 

Have you tried resetting the CMOS???

Inspiron 5485 Service Manual:

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/inspiron-14-5485-laptop/inspiron_14_5485-servicemanual/before-working-inside-your-computer?guid=guid-5d3b1051-9384-409a-8d5b-9b53bd496de8&lang=en-us

Disconnect the AC adapter.

Remove the "Base Cover"

Disconnect the "Main" battery.

Disconnect the CMOS Coil-Cell battery.

Connect the AC adapter for just a few seconds.

Disconnect the AC, then connect the Coin-Cell battery and Main battery.

Reassemble and test.

Regards,

U2

8 Posts

November 5th, 2019 11:00

No Sir, I haven't. But what I have tried is to update BIOS to the latest and then resetting it to factory defaults through the BIOS menu option. As You can assume - no change in behavior. 

No Events found!