Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 23rd, 2021 17:00

Inspiron 5502, S3 sleep unsupported

When I open command prompt and type 'powercfg /a', S3 sleep is disabled because S0 sleep is on. I have found a way to turn off S0 sleep but S3 sleep still stays disabled due to the firmware not supporting it. 

I've tried searching through the BIOS but I haven't found much related to sleeping. I've also searched all over the internet but either nothing works or I can't find anything about this issue.

How can I fix this? If there is something in the BIOS that I missed, please tell me. As far as I know, my BIOS is up-to-date. 

All help is appreciated.

The following sleep states are available on this system:
    Hibernate
    Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
    Standby (S1)
        The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S3)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

Hybrid Sleep
        Standby (S3) is not available.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

September 29th, 2021 17:00

Its gone by Design, Until Windows 10 build 2004 we had an options in registry to bring it back. But Microsoft took is away as well.

@awesomeyodude  Correction, Microsoft is the one pushing it, Dell and other OEMs are following it. Microsoft Believes there S0 (modern standby mode) is the future.

FAQ Modern Standby
All newer Dell laptops now use the Microsoft mandated
 Modern Standby. The old legacy Standby S3 is no longer supported. All newer Dell Laptops support Modern Standby S0 sleep only. The BIOS is written with this mandate in mind.

September 29th, 2021 12:00

I have a similar issue with a Vostro 3500. My powercfg /a output is different because my laptop supports S0 LPI and Hibernate, but not the others. From whatever I've seen online, this is a firmware issue with no fix because Microsoft and Dell are pushing S0 LPI onto users even though no one wants it. Nothing to do but wait for them to come to their senses and release a firmware update that fixes this.

September 30th, 2021 01:00

Additionally, please keep in mind that on laptops older than 2019, you can do a registry hack to enable sleep again, but in newer laptops there's literally no option to do anything in any OS. I've tried it in Ubuntu and it didn't work. In Windows I've read in multiple places that trying to do this registry hack in a new model will make the system crash when you put it to sleep and you'll have to hard reboot every time.

October 2nd, 2021 01:00

Dell folks harangued me with repeated private messages asking for a battery report because of this post. When I sent it to them, they said they see no battery drain in connected standby mode, even though this was part of the report:

14:41:19 Connected standby Battery 80 % 33,573 mWh
17:40:20 Active Battery 57 % 23,769 mWh

23% drain in 3 hours. And when I tried to respond to their private message with this, I'm being told that I've reached the limit for private messages and can't send them anymore. This has been happening for 2 days. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

October 2nd, 2021 06:00

Don't waste time. Microsoft needs to fix this. 

I have implemented hibernation for all of my office machines when not plugged in. 

Machine with nVME SSDs anyways come back quickly. 

1 Message

July 2nd, 2022 09:00

Hi there,

Have same problem on Dell M7760, it should allow to be entered S3 to be safe from unexpected wake up and no more ridiculous laptop heat during sleep.

Please listen to your users. 

2 Posts

September 5th, 2022 14:00

Does this problem exist only in Windows or Linux is affected as well?

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

September 5th, 2022 17:00

I haven't heard Linux users reporting the same issue? 

Although can't confirm how Linux treats S0 

1 Message

December 9th, 2022 02:00

Same for Linux users. Only difference is if the firmware is capable of s3 Linux users can change the OS to use it, but no new laptops have firmware so we're all in the same boat.

January 13th, 2023 00:00

this issue is present on laptops where S3 sleep is not implemented properly, like on the Dell Precision 5550, where it is simply broken. When enabled, the laptop hangs on a Dell logo when coming out of sleep.
In S0, my laptop drains completely within 6 hours, which is utterly ridiculous. This is like a bad joke and Dell should really step up and fix S3 in every BIOS. I will send my machine back if this does not get fixed, it's unusable without sleep and I am not gonna wear my disk with hibernate. 

A laptop should SLEEP Dell, not use crazy amounts of battery and a user should not have to think AT ALL about runs in the background, because IT SHOULD NOT.

Don't break ACPI and user experience. And if you cannot fix this yourself or do not want that, please supply the full source code of the BIOS to the community so people with the skills can do it.

4 Posts

March 21st, 2023 10:00

DELL this man has a point, please answer all community calls regarding the reintroduction of S3 power mode - it's PAIN without it.

FAQ Modern Standby
All newer Dell laptops now use the Microsoft mandated
 Modern Standby. The old legacy Standby S3 is no longer supported. All newer Dell Laptops support Modern Standby S0 sleep only. The BIOS is written with this mandate in mind.

7 Posts

January 22nd, 2024 05:53

The problem is in "Modern" sleep function that works in a totally different way.

https://bghints.blogspot.com/2023/10/sleep-is-not-visible-from-shut-down-menu.html

Support for legacy sleep is removed on hardware level.

No Events found!