Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

7 Posts

September 26th, 2020 14:00

Inspiron 5570: Mechanical problem with screen

Hello everybody, i'm sorry if there will be errors, but i'm not a native speaker (i'm from Italy)

almost exactly two years ago I bought this notebook, I have always used it for study purposes and It never fall.

I immediately noticed that it was a bit difficult to open the screen but having never had a Dell notebook, I had no way of making any comparisons.

Recently when the notebook is close, the plastic of the right hinge and also the black frame are open.

Obviously the internal structure remains exposed and this has also caused a small defect to the screen and the incomplete closure also causes the non-automatic suspension of the PC.

Furthermore, by touching and lightly pressing the black frame of the short side corresponding to the damage, the classic phenomenon of pressing on a screen is formed, but with the same pressure on the other side nothing is formed, so it gives me the impression of being "weakened".

I tried to investigate the problem, the plastic isn't broken, rather it seems that there is a cable out of place that forces the plastic to disengage (I don't know if this has led to the breaking of some internal hook).

I am also attaching the photos to better understand the problem.

Is this something that I can fix by myself with proper instructions? Can the screen defect also be fixed?

Obviously the warranty has expired. Should we extend it to fix this thing? Does this make sense?

It seems to be more a consequence of a factory defect that has now manifested itself because there is nothing broken and damaged.

Screen defectScreen defectCable out of placeCable out of placePlastic is openPlastic is openphoto6015118255603167917.jpg

7 Posts

September 26th, 2020 15:00

Hi ejn63, thank you for the reply! Is there a detailed guide? I don't want to do more damage by opening the system!

10 Elder

• 

23.4K Posts

September 26th, 2020 15:00

The only fix for the pressure damage to the screen is a replacement screen.  And to see exactly what's damaged (I suspect you'll find a broken mounting point in the plastic -- either the base or the screen back) -- you'll need to disassemble the system to look.

10 Elder

• 

23.4K Posts

September 26th, 2020 17:00

7 Posts

September 27th, 2020 05:00

I couldn't disassemble it all because I don't have the right tools, but when I removed the black frame it was clearer: some screws have fallen out.

Three of four screws, that fix the hinge to the cover,  are removed with the plastic.

Also one screw of the screen is separeted.

I think it's very strange that plastic broke in this way! The laptop was never hit or fallen.

What can i do? In these conditions does it risk breaking even more?

I made some photos, but i don't know how to post them. So i make i folder in google drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13a3heq8fBGRyGqfTHlbczIAUX96Xp6CN?usp=sharing

7 Posts

September 27th, 2020 06:00

I replaced the frame and closed the computer. When I reopened it (obviously accompanying the hinge) and turned on, the screen was as in the picture. I removed the frame again to see if a cable had come off, but it was back to normal. I put the frame back with the computer on and I noticed that now if I touch the damaged part, the screen disappears and then touching in other places appears.

It looks like this computer is five years old when it's only two !!

10 Elder

• 

23.4K Posts

Whatever parts are broken need to be replaced.  And if the hinges were tight to begin with (i.e., they're binding), that is likely the cause -- you may want to replace those with the frame that holds the broken mounts.

Eventually the entire hinge assembly will fail and snap off - and very possibly shatter the screen in the process.

• 

25.2K Posts

Hi,

I have replied to you via a private message.

-Gautam.

7 Posts

My computer will have a beautiful future!
Is it more convenient to buy the broken piece (and I have no idea where to find it in Italy) or to extend the warranty that is currently expired? (always if the warranty will cover the damage)

10 Elder

• 

23.4K Posts

September 27th, 2020 07:00

I doubt the warranty will cover the problem -- and even repair with a local shop will cost far less than what a warranty extension will.

The parts will likely total $50 or less or the equivalent - an hour's labor with a shop should cover the repair.  Any warranty extension will likely be $300 and up for just one year.

7 Posts

September 27th, 2020 15:00

Thanks a lot for your answers.

I have no idea where to buy the cover. With a quick internet search I didn't find many solutions. I will also await the response from Dell-Cares.

In the meantime I would like to ask you another advice, can it be replaced with a metal cover or something more resistant? (always if it exists for my model).

10 Elder

• 

23.4K Posts

September 27th, 2020 16:00

It looks like what you're looking for is the the back cover to the display assembly.  Unfortunately, the replacement will be the same as the original.  While there are systems with metal covers, this isn't one of them - that's one of the features you generally find on higher-end systems such as XPS models, but not on budget systems like the Inspiron/G-series.

No Events found!