Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

1 Message

March 6th, 2019 11:00

Inspiron 5570, USB Type-C instead of HDMI?

Hello.

Can I use USB Type-C to connect my HDMI monitor to the Inspiron 5570?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

March 6th, 2019 11:00

* For my Dell internal notes, click my name and private message me the Inspiron 5570 service tag number

* What specific monitor model?
* Why would you need to use USB Type-C if you are already connecting in this way?
Inspiron 5570 HDMI out port --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> Unknown monitor HDMI in port

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 6th, 2019 12:00

The Inspiron 5570's Setup and Specifications document available on support.dell.com (direct link here) says this about the USB-C port: "USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Type-C) port with Power Delivery/DisplayPort (optional)".  Unfortunately it's not clear from that whether a) the USB-C port itself is optional and you get DisplayPort as long as you have that port, or b) the USB-C port is standard and the DisplayPort capability is optional, i.e. some systems have USB-C ports that only handle data and maybe Power Delivery.  My guess is that it's the latter, i.e. all systems come with USB-C ports but only some of them have DisplayPort output.  Unfortunately it's also not clear from that document or the product page what determines whether you get the "optional" port/capability.  But I do know that on other systems, DisplayPort support depends on whether your system was ordered with a discrete GPU, and I do see that the 5570 is available with an AMD Radeon 530 discrete GPU, so that might be it.

151 Posts

March 7th, 2019 02:00

Yes you can!

I'm using an dual monitor configuration since I brought my 5770 in december 2017 by using this adapter:

"USB C to HDMI Adapter, Type C to HDMI 4K Hub with Gigabit Ethernet, Power Delivery Port, USB 3.0 Port for 2016/2017/2018 MacBook/MacBook Pro, 2018 MacBook Air, Samsung Galaxy S9/S8/S8+/Note 8"

An extra advantage: Gigabit Ethernet!

Costs: €33 or $36

Next upgrade: 16Gb extra RAM to make RAM dual (channel) too ;-)

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 7th, 2019 06:00

@The Adder wrote:

Yes you can!

I'm using an dual monitor configuration since I brought my 5770 in december 2017 by using this adapter:

"USB C to HDMI Adapter, Type C to HDMI 4K Hub with Gigabit Ethernet, Power Delivery Port, USB 3.0 Port for 2016/2017/2018 MacBook/MacBook Pro, 2018 MacBook Air, Samsung Galaxy S9/S8/S8+/Note 8"

An extra advantage: Gigabit Ethernet!

Costs: €33 or $36

Next upgrade: 16Gb extra RAM to make RAM dual (channel) too ;-)

The disadvantage to these multi-purpose adapters is that they cut your available display bandwidth in half.  A simple USB-C to DisplayPort or HDMI 2.0 cable would be able to carry enough bandwidth for a 4K 60 Hz display, or dual 2560x1600 (if you use DisplayPort daisy-chaining or an MST hub), whereas if you use an adapter that carries both video and USB data for things like Ethernet over USB-C, you only get enough bandwidth for a single 1440p display or a 4K display but only at 30 Hz.  I wrote a detailed post about the various operating modes of USB-C and their impact on available display setups here if you're curious.

151 Posts

March 8th, 2019 00:00

@jphughan wrote:

The disadvantage to these multi-purpose adapters is that they cut your available display bandwidth in half.  A simple USB-C to DisplayPort or HDMI 2.0 cable would be able to carry enough bandwidth for a 4K 60 Hz display, or dual 2560x1600 (if you use DisplayPort daisy-chaining or an MST hub), whereas if you use an adapter that carries both video and USB data for things like Ethernet over USB-C, you only get enough bandwidth for a single 1440p display or a 4K display but only at 30 Hz.  I wrote a detailed post about the various operating modes of USB-C and their impact on available display setups here if you're curious.

Thanks for the info!

I have 2 monitors connected (1920x1200 @60hz and 1600x1200 @60hz => 3520 x 1200) which is optimal for coding applications like Unity and Visual Studio, therefor I never notice the bandwidth problem of the adapter. 

It depends on what you want to do with your laptop, but your info makes it easier to make the right choice!

No Events found!